Drink driver kept locked up after re-offending week after receiving two-year ban
A Latvian man was remanded in custody today after being caught driving while almost four times over the limit – just a week after he was in court on a previous drink driving charge.
Edward Kukutis, 21, of Sandveien, Lerwick, was disqualified for two years last Wednesday after admitting being drunk at the wheel.
However early yesterday he drove his uninsured car in the Tesco car park with 128 microgrammes of alcohol in his system – the legal limit is 35 microgrammes.
Police were called by Kukutis’ work colleagues who were concerned after seeing him get behind the wheel.
At Lerwick Sheriff Court procurator fiscal Duncan MacKenzie said last week’s ban – Kukutis was also fined £750 – was “indicative of the very high count”.
“The court was told he has a very arrogant attitude as to what he feels he should be entitled to do. He doesn’t feel the road traffic laws apply to him,” said Mr MacKenzie.
“I can’t recall someone being brought back before the court within such a short space of time for exactly the same offence. Indeed, on this occasion it’s worse in that the reading is higher.”
Calling for Kukutis’ car to be forfeited, Mr MacKenzie described him as someone who “poses a significant threat to the safety of other road users and pedestrians”.
Defence agent Tommy Allan called for Kukutis to be released on bail while background reports are compiled.
He said Kukutis was hopeful his job would still be open to him and he had a fixed address.
“His own car has been taken off him. Hopefully that will go some way to allay concerns about the possibility of him driving again.”
He said Kukutis, an only child, was living away from home for the first time.
“Clearly he is drinking too much, but he has never been in trouble in Latvia before.”
Mr MacKenzie, however, said Kukutis had “access” to the car, which was still at Tesco.
“Clearly he doesn’t have a record, other than this one previous conviction. But he has now breached an order of the court.
“The difficulty for him is that if he was admitted to bail today that would be in light of him already having breached a court order, and breaching a court order in a very short space of time.”
He added Kukutis “may well have some sort of alcohol problem”.
“I appreciate his record is very limited, however I simply reiterate the Crown’s position he poses a significant threat to the public.”
Mr Allan said there was “no opposition” to the forfeiture of the car.
Honorary sheriff Eric Peterson said: “I’ve decided to call for reports and to refuse bail in the circumstances until the next court appearance.”
He allowed the car to be forfeited. Kukutis will appear for sentence on 15th December.