Globe butchers to close

13 comments, , by , in Headlines, News

It’s been a feature of the Lerwick commercial scene for four generations – but the Globe Butcher’s shop will close at the end of March.

Butcher Keith Moffat told The Shetland Times that he had made a “difficult decision” and confirmed that the last day of trading would be on 29th March.

Keith Moffat confirmed the Globe Butcher's shop will close at the end of March.

Keith Moffat confirmed the Globe Butcher’s shop will close at the end of March.

The business has been in Mr Moffat’s family since 1893 and over the years developed into one of the most well-thought of butcher’s shops.

Mr Moffat, the fourth generation of his family to take charge at the shop, has worked there personally for 30 years.

He said the decision to close was nothing to do with the competition, or a lack of custom.

“It [the closure] is no way anything to do with competition with the supermarkets or other butcher shops. It is various other reasons which I would rather not disclose.

“It was a difficult decision and one that has not been taken lightly.”

Mr Moffat said no decision had been reached on what would happen to the Commercial Road premises once the Globe had stopped trading.

He said: “In the interim it will be closing. I am not sure what I will be doing with the premises.”

Over the years the Globe won several awards for its products including bacon, burgers, sausages and pies. In 2008 the shop also picked up a prize for its potted meat.

The business had also been a member of the Q Guild, an organisation which “represents the highest quality butchers and independent meat retailers in the UK”.

The Globe’s closure means Lerwick will be left with just one butcher shop, J. K. Mainland on Commercial Street. At one time there were 13 butchers in the town.

The town is also bereft of bakers following the closure of Malcolmson’s last year. In the 1960s there were at least six.

About Adam Civico

The Shetland Times editor. Contact me with your news and views – a.civico@shetlandtimes.co.uk

View other stories by »

13 comments

1. Isabel fraser

Very sorry to hear that the Globe butcher is closing they were very friendly business , good staff. Also good quality butcher meat I for one is going to miss you

2. john russell

sorry to hear that news was looking forward to shopping there in july when i am up on holiday always take a parcel of meat home here to elgin love the meat from the globe i will thank the staff now for the very friendly service i always got from them john

3. Nanette Bunting

Sorry to hear Globe Butchers are closing down, I always shop there when I. Am home in Shetland and then I always take meat home with me. The staff were great and the quality of the meat is excellent. They will be a great miss.

4. Tom Richardson

Although we dont bide in shetland any more whenever we visit we take two cool boxes of their sausages home beef links! Sad news

5. Stevie Michael

The Globe was my first job as a young teen. Was great to work with such fresh & tasty produce. A lovely family to work for and a real shame. All the best in future decisions Keith and Mona

6. W.Williamson

Turkey without Globe stuffing – fried eggs without Globe saucermeat ??Unthinkable! Sad to see closure

7. Vivienne Rendall

Could it not be sold as a going concern? It seems a terrible shame that such an excellent business should just close.

8. Karl Ward

I worked at the Globe for 16 years, from 1991 until 2007. I saw the shop transformed from the old traditional style to the new modern countenance it has today thanks to Keith’s drive and determination. It first opened its doors on Saturday 13th July 1901 with an advertisement on the front page of The Times (then published on Saturday). Goodness knows how many butchers, counter staff and “tattie boys” have worked there but it was my privilege to work with more than a few. Many happy memories made there and friendships that still last today. I wish all who work there the very best, and to Keith & Mona many thanks for letting me be part of The Globe history.

• John Tulloch

Well said, Karl and others.

Fewer problems for Sumburgh security due to packs of Globe saucermeat in the suitcases – a sad day however when such a landmark product ceases to exist!

9. Nik Watt

Where can I buy sassermeat now?

10. Jim Leask

J&K Anderson and Scalloway Meat Company both do really good Sassermaet Nik. Both sell in various shops around Lerwick and Shetland. Bolts has J&K stuff in. Scalloway Meat Company is opening a Butchers shop in the Toll Clock and have a really good range of stuff. If you’re a Sassermaet fan, you should try their Beef & Tomato slices.

Finally a subject on here I’m passionate about……Sassermaet!

11. Julia Preston

Where will I be able to buy restit mutton from now? I normally call up once a year and Globe send it down to me. This is a disaster!

12. fraser cluness

just phone one of the other shetland butchers! i got a wad in March from the one on the street

Your Comment

Please note, it is the policy of The Shetland Times to publish comments and letters from named individuals only. Both forename and surname are required.

Contributors must observe normal standards of decency and tolerance for the opinions of others. Comments are moderated. Moderators have been instructed to approve or reject comments but not to edit them. Comments may therefore be withheld due to one incautious phrase in an otherwise acceptable contribution.

The views expressed are those of contributors and not of The Shetland Times.

The Shetland Times reserves the right to decline or remove any contribution without notice or stating reason.