Staff evacuated after fire at Greenhead Base
About 60 men were evacuated from the Greenhead Base this morning in a full-scale emergency when an acetylene cylinder and an oxygen cylinder went on fire.
Two fire engines from Lerwick and one from Sandwick were called to the base shortly before 11am, followed by a police van and an ambulance, which was called to the site as a precaution.
The fire was extinguished by noon and no-one was reported injured. Emergency staff are still on the scene cooling the cylinders.
UPDATE 4.40pm – Fire crews still at the scene.
The fire and rescue service has issued the following statement: “Firefighters are still at the scene of a fire at an industrial estate in Lerwick, Shetland.
“Control received a call at 10.49am reporting a fire at GMS Mechanical Services in Greenhead Base, Lerwick.
“The fire involved an acetylene cylinder and an oxygen cylinder. Acetylene cylinders pose significant risks if overheated. Two appliances from Lerwick and one appliance from Sandwick were sent to the scene.
“Station manager Myles Murray said: “We immediately assessed the situation and asked Police Scotland to put a cordon in place. The adjacent unclassified road was also closed as a precaution.
“We extinguished the fire and then spent around two hours cooling the cylinders. Thereafter we used a thermal imaging camera to check for hotspots. Acetylene cylinders pose a risk of explosion if they get too hot.”
He added: “The cylinders have now been sufficiently cooled and have been handed over. The cordon has been reduced and the road re-opened, but our crews remain at the scene.”