20th September 2018
Established 1872. Online since 1996.

Unexpected visitor at guest house

6 comments, , by , in News

A tourist caught sight of an unexpected visitor making its way across the garden of the guest house he was staying in.

Pete Brindley, from Derby, has been staying at the Aurora Guest House on King Harald Street, owned by Andrea Sim. On Friday he was surprised to see this young otter climbing the fence and making its way onto the roof of the neighbouring property.

The animal may have made a quick get away but not before Pete managed to take several photos. Andrea’s bemused dog can be seen looking at the otter through the window on one of the images.

6 comments

1. Michael Pedley

On Sunday we saw what could of been the same otter walking past the Wheel Bar and Baroc, then crossing the road and heading down the steps next to Alexander Buildings towards the Fish Market. The Otter appeared to be very unperturbed by all the traffic and was happy to walk within a couple of feet of a confused looking padestrian

2. Gordon Simpson

I was sure I saw a young otter the other night (would have been 18th Sept) as I was parking up at back of Sarmile after setting up disco gear in the Legion.
    I only saw it in the mirror, as I reversed the van, while it was peeking over the top of the wall. I did go for a quick look to see if I could confirm my sighting, but decided folk would think I’d lost my mind if I hunted too much for an otter in the town. Could be the same one spotted at Aurora, I feel saner now – I wasn’t seeing things!

3. Mike Bailey

A young otter was seen by me and several shoppers in the Co-op car park on Saturday morning. It appeared to have a slight limp but headed of to the waterfront and, hopefully, headed off to sea.

4. diane bentley

I saw an otter on Saturday evening on the road going into the Great Wall.

5. Tim Thornton

In the first (white chair) photo, there seems to be another furry fellow ( or is it two?) behind that glass door, taking an interest in the proceedings! Best Wishes from Edinboro, in Pennsylvania.

6. Heather butler

I have seen an otter at the end of SouthLochside, but never in a back garden

Your Comment

Please note, it is the policy of The Shetland Times to publish comments and letters from named individuals only. Both forename and surname are required.

Comments are moderated. Contributors must observe normal standards of decency and tolerance for the opinions of others.

The views expressed are those of contributors and not of The Shetland Times.

The Shetland Times reserves the right to decline or remove any contribution without notice or stating reason.

Comments are limited to 200 words but please email longer articles or letters to editorial@shetlandtimes.co.uk for consideration and include a daytime telephone number and your address. If emailing information in confidence please put "Not for publication" in both the subject line and at the top of the main message.