29th March 2017

Crime drama Shetland to return for fourth series

The crime drama Shetland will return for a fourth series, the BBC has confirmed.

Douglas Henshall will be back as DI Jimmy Perez with other regular cast members also returning for the series which will again include six 60-minute episodes.

Series three attracted a consolidated audience, which includes those who watched on the BBC’s iPlayer service, of 5.8 million viewers.

The series is inspired by Ann Cleeves’ crime novels of the same name, though it will not be based directly on one of her books. ITV Studios will again produce the programme for the BBC and filming is expected to start early next year.

Executive producer for BBC Scotland will be Gaynor Holmes, who has been appointed acting drama commissioning editor, Scotland. She said: “I’m passionate about telling brilliant stories from Scotland that audiences across the UK will love and I feel very privileged to be taking up this role at such an exciting time of renewed commitment to drama from the nations.”

36 comments

1. Eric Mc Greevy

Great news. Great series, well acted with marvellous story lines and of course Shetland scenery and culture. Can’t wait. I would love to visit the Shetlands. Can travelling costs be reduced.

2. Tracey Scadden

Superb news! A wonderful series – a credit to scriptwriters, production staff, actors and the locals of Shetland. You are ALL stars!

3. Kaye Mitchell

Great news. Discovered this show on my local PBS station (in the US) and was immediately hooked. Can hardly wait for Season 4.

Season 3, Episode 5 will air this Friday night and I will view it on the big screen. (I cheated and watched it on my computer already–just couldn’t wait.)

4. Howard Tweed

Great news , Watch it over here in Canada and just think it is a great show . Has lots of following over here . I mean how great is it to have a Scottish DCI with the name Perez ?

5. Claudia Sanders

I absolutely love everything about this show. I see it on my PBS station in So. Calif., plus I have bought seasons 1 and 2. The storylines, acting, scenery, everything, is top-notch. I had not really thought about the northernmost parts of Scotland, even though I have visited Scotland twice. If I should return there, Shetland will be on my itinery. Please keep this show going for many seasons to come!

6. Emmett Francoeur

A brilliant series and my wife and I have only unfortunately been able to see the first 2 seasons. We like others have been struck by the beauty of the Shetlands, the intricacy of the plots, and the writing which always includes layers of warmth and compassion, especially from Jimmy Perez. Wonderful quality and we are looking to get our hands on the 3rd and of course this 4th season. Any suggestions for poor North Americans to get this or do we have to wait for Netflix to save the day in the future?

7. David Spence

Hi Emmett, You could try communicating with the BBC here in the UK? You could google and email them?

They may have the series on dvd (you would have to ask them if they have it as NTSC Format rather than PAL, and also in Region 1 (I believe the USA is region 1?))

Alternatively, the BBC may have an USA Distributor or a BBC TV Network (cable of satellite?) within the States?

• Kate Hargreaves

First tree seasons now available on iTunes in North America. So good! Any suggestions for similar shows?

8. Constance Levesque

This is an outstanding series both in character development and plot; the scenery is starkly beautiful as well as gorgeous. Saw it on Netflix where the best TV is offered by BBC.Need more !!!
    Eastern Canada awaits season 4.

• Tony Manna

Constance Levesque – season 4? In Toronto and Netflix has only up to season 2. Where did you access season 3?

• Julie Michelle

In Nova Scotia and watched season 3 on Netflix. Loved it!

9. Denise Wesker

Have just watched series 1 and 2 on Netflix and loved every thing about shetland. The scenery and drama. Wonderful.living in Australia we take for granted our sun and beaches but Shetland looks wonderful. I have been to Scotland, Edinburgh and Glasgow so loved that I have been to the area. But if ever I go again I will go to the Shetland if possible. Netflix please load series 3……

10. Bonnie Warren

Bonnie Warren

Absolutely agree with all comments above! Shetland is the greatest. Even noses out Vera for now. PBS in Minneapolis Mn has only shown 2 seasons, but I watch them over and over. Can’t wait to discover season 3 and 4. Thank you to the BBC for producing such fine work.

11. Kitty Campbell

one of the best crafted dramas I have ever watched.Both dialogue and characters realistic and basic.The stillness of the conversation between Tosh and the artist at his cottage was utterly magnificent.The downside is that it leaps about its showing slot . there should bea commitment from the B .B.C. To develop a couple of series at the same time and a sense of realism about not letting that artist chap go there is a different and thoroughly interesting angle around the relationship between Tosh and him

12. Julie O. L. Watts

Shetland may be surrounded by the North Sea, but the landscape remains me of the islands in Lake Superior, part of the Canadian Shield. I love the show and am happy to read there will be a series 4.

13. Susan Honor

Yayyyyyy !!!!!!!! 🎉🎈

14. Peter ohlsson

Fantastic series

15. Sharon Cox

Really looking forward to season 4. I’ve got the first 3 seasons on disk as I am in Australia and I don’t think that the show has been shown on free to air to out here.
    Love it and the Shetland Islands on my bucket list although I know that a lot of the show was filmed on the mainland.
    Now to find out when the show will be shown.

16. Tim Berrigan

We are like kids waiting for Christmas! Really looking forward to Season 4. The show is so well written and acted, but the beauty of the Islands is a canvas like no other! Thanks to everybody over there from your fans in Atlanta GA, USA.

17. Laurie Bender

We’ve watched the series here on the east coast of the US (outside of Boston MA).
    Love it and look forward to season 4!

18. Kathy Dickinson

Shetland is the program I most look forward to watching each Sunday night here in Los Angeles. It’s wonderfully done, & the acting by all cast members is first rate. And the northern islands are spectacular and mysterious in a manner befitting beautiful Scotland. I’m really looking forward to Series 4. Thanks to all involved with this fine production.

19. Mark Stillman

Shetland is a unique and interesting program, and I hope there are going to be additional series. I heard that Series 4 will be filmed, yet I hope for more after that. I have been to the Shetland Islands and they are fabulous, and the acting is superb and top shelf. I live in Los Angeles, but did a marathon at my parents home watching all 3 seasons in 1 week. I can’t wait for Series 4. Please keep up the great work.

20. Kate Noakes

Am watching Series Three (Season 2 on DVD here in Australia) as I am writing this, as I wanted to see if Season 4 was going to be made. Thrilled that it is!
    My husband is keen to do a Sabbatical for 6 months in Glasgow, and I am very keen to go as I planned to visit all the places where TV series such as Hamish Macbeth, Doctor Finlay, and Outlander have been filmed. I have told him that we now also have to go to the Shetland Isles – and spend some significant time there – it’s so beautiful.

21. Michael A. Brown

My wife and I live in the United States and became aware of Shetland through our PBS. We continually look forward to each new series of Shetland and consider lt superior to the crime dramas here in the U.S. This series holds special meaning for my wife because her ancestors are from Fair Isle. We have one request: please do not remove (Tosh) Alison O’Donnell from the series.
    Shetland is truly a well written series with actors/characters who we have become
    part of our household.

22. Rosemary Folco

This is an awesome series, well done to BBC once again for producing such brilliant writing and actors.
    The scenery is beautiful, the sensitivities all the actors bring to the plot are outstanding, and one never knows who the villain is until the end. It keeps you on your toes all through.

Please produce more (right now please) series. We need these kinds of programs, I am sick of American programming.

Bring back all the actors they are superb, bring back Tosh, can’t do without her, she is brilliant and of course Jimmy, he is gorgeous and sensative and all the cast they are all brilliant. Love the way they stop for a “Cup of Tea” instead of drinks like American shows. Love Jimmy’s house, heck everything is perfect.

23. ruth southall

I love Shetland. The actors, especially Douglas Henshall are brilliant. Watching it inspired me to visit the islands in 2014 and it was one of the best places I have ever visited. I hope the BBC keep making this series and that as many of the original cast as possible stay in it including Mr Henshall. In series 3 the attack on Tosh was handled really well and we saw how Jimmy Perez struggled to deal with it . Hopefully Tosh will back in series 4.

24. Cathrine Evans

This is such good news, but (spoiler alert) will miss characters who appear to be leaving based on how season three ended. Scotland is for sure on our bucket list of travels, now these islands must be added. The scenery is breathtaking and lends much to the moods of the characters and twists of the plots. What’s not to love – shows like Shetland are what keep me a public television supporter – network television does not even come close. Kudos to actors, directors and the author of the books that lent their storylines

25. Nigel Hall

wonderful…. Fantastic acting, especially the aftermath of the rape on all the characters…. but it’s now February 2017 and no update…. when when when ????

26. Mark Wicksted

My wife and I visited the Isle of Skye when we were in Scotland in the 80’s. This show brings back many fond memories of the island and Scotland itself. Just finished watching Season 3 tonight, having purchased all three seasons. Can hardly wait for Season 4, but very grateful they have continued the series for at least one more season 🙂

27. Dixie Griffin

Great to hear it . I have watched the last series 4 times

28. David Spence

I am intrigued if the 4th Series of Shetland goes back to the books or produces its own storyline? Whatever it may be, it is a great drama, and certainly worth another series………in fact, as many series as can be done, but still sticking to its core principle of why it was done in the first place.

I wonder if the producer has ever thought of making Shetland into a movie? lol

29. Roopa Viswanathan

I watched all 3 series back to back on netflix in 1 week. Shetland is so beautiful and the characters so sensitively played. I like how Perez’s character balances being a single parent, an open minded one at that and a being a cop. Its so hard and he still seems to have a sense of humor. Eagerly looking forward to the 4th series.

30. Robert Torstrom

I am so glad to there will be more twists and turns in Shetland. The performances demand intense attention and the story lines are most ingaging. Certainly a worthy follow on to Inspector Morse and Foyle’s War.

31. Ali Newman

When will Shetland series 4 be available for viewing in the U.S.? I’m a huge fan, read all the books and watched all 3 series so far. I can’t wait!

• Richard Boston

I dont think they have started filming Series 4 yet.

32. Brian Kent

I loved watching Series 1 and 2 of ‘Shetland’ and thoroughly enjoyed the characters portrayed. It certainly builds tension as the episodes go on and I can’t wait to buy Series three on DVD here in Australia. It has not been shown on free to air local TV as far as I know so it was by chance that I had the ‘Vera’ series and loved that. When I saw a DVD in my local retailer with scripts based on the Ann Cleeves novels I bought my first ‘Shetland’ DVD and eventually the 2nd series and now about to order Series three. I hope that I can get a DVD copy of Series four when it is available. Well done BBC Scotland. Anything showing Scotland is always a plus and I have enjoyed trips to Scotland in the recent past so recognise the scenery etc.
    Shetland reminded me of parts of Tasmania that I visited when I lived and worked in Hobart for six very happy years.

Your Comment

Please note, it is the policy of The Shetland Times to publish comments and letters from named individuals only. Both forename and surname are required.

Comments are moderated. Contributors must observe normal standards of decency and tolerance for the opinions of others.

The views expressed are those of contributors and not of The Shetland Times.

The Shetland Times reserves the right to decline or remove any contribution without notice or stating reason.

Comments are limited to 200 words but please email longer articles or letters to editorial@shetlandtimes.co.uk for consideration and include a daytime telephone number and your address. If emailing information in confidence please put "Not for publication" in both the subject line and at the top of the main message.