Whalsay and Celtic finalists again

SENIOR football action switches to the county side tomorrow with the Shetland Flag Day challenge match against Highland League side Deveronvale at Lerwick’s Gilbert­son Park at 3pm. On Monday in the GS Flooring Premier League Whalsay have the chance to go equal top with a home match against Yell. Meanwhile the final of the Manson Cup is a repeat of the Madrid Cup climax with Celtic and Whalsay doing battle.

Manson Cup
Whalsay 3, Spurs 1

On a perfect night for football it was Whalsay who were quickest into their stride and enjoyed good spells of possession early on. A couple of good early chances saw them almost take the lead. Ross Irvine was played in through the middle but he lofted the ball agonizingly over the bar then shortly after Ian Simpson saw a good shot from the edge of the box strike the post. The ball was then cleared to safety.

The elusive goal finally came though when Whalsay were awarded a free kick 25 yards out which Allistair Johnson curled around the wall and into the far corner.

Whalsay almost doubled their lead when Johnson reacted first to a break inside the box but his point blank strike was superbly saved by young Kyle Duncan in the Spurs goal.

Spurs gradually came back into the game and almost drew level before half time when an opportunist strike by Josie Kay from outside the box was touched round the post by the Whalsay keeper.

The second half saw a complete change of fortunes as Spurs really started to assert themselves. They enjoyed the majority of possession and were continously forcing Whalsay on the back foot. It was no surprise when they drew level on the hour mark, a sliced clearance allowing Danny Finnie to race clear of the defence and from a tight angle drill the ball home.

Spurs kept the pressure on but for all their dominance at this stage they just couldn’t create any real chances. Into the last 15 minutes of the match Whalsay were starting to come more into the game again and a robust challenge in the middle of the park from Gary Jamieson resulted in a good ball being played through for Ross Irvine who outpaced the away defence to place the ball past Duncan to restore Whalsay’s advantage.

Whalsay were back in the ascendancy and within a couple of minutes they were awarded a penalty when Allistair Johnson was fouled inside the box. John Montgomery stepped up to calmly side foot the ball past the keeper to put the islanders 3-1 ahead.

Michael Grant brought an entertaining game to an end shortly after with a sense of relief passing through the Whalsay team as they were seriously tested by this ever improving Spurs side.

Unst 0, Celtic 3

Celtic progressed with a comfortable win against an Unst side who worked hard for the 90 minutes but couldn’t break down a well organised Celtic defence. Lowrie Simpson got a goal each side of half time and Dominic Mann made the tie safe with a 3rd goal.

GS Flooring
Premier League
Thistle 6, Unst 1

Unst with wind advantage started the game brightly, putting the Thistle defence under pressure. They forced several corners but could not find the crucial final pass that would have created a real chance.

The home side came more into the game and their fast moving forwards started to cause the Unst defence problems. After 23 minutes Craig Gerty was first to a loose ball and knocked it in from close range. Clever play from the same player set up Adam Thomson who placed his shot low in to the corner.

With the interval looming Thistle made the points safe when Scott Morrison scored twice, following almost identical solo runs from midfield.

Credit to Unst who came out in the second half showing a real determination to take the game to the home side. They were rewarded when Simon Robin was brought down in the box. Unfortunately Simon did a fairly good “John Terry” imitation with the kick, placing it just wide of the goalie’s left hand post.

Unst continued to have most of the possesion but Thistle looked more dangerous on the break. Scott Morrison completed a deserved hat trick when he volleyed a cross in at the far post.

Unst scored a consolation after 82 minutes when Bruce Johnston was first to a loose ball and shot home from 15 yards.

The scoring was completed by Craig Gerty when he headed in a cross from close range.

Whitedale 3, Scalloway 5

Whitedale played with the wind in the first half but despite having the majority of the play only led 2-0 at half time through a goal each for Paul Molloy and Jamie Wilson.

Whitedale contiuned to have the better of the second half but were continually caught at the back by the speed and trickery of Alan Davidson who turned the game around with four goals. Paul Tait added a fifth with a fine back post header before Paul Molloy got his second in the dying minutes.

Ness United 0, Whalsay 7

Colin Leask, Colin Anderson, Gary Jamieson, Ross Irvine (2), Keith Pearson and an own goal.

Delting 3, Spurs 2

No report was received from the home team.

Yell 0, Celtic 8

Scorers for Celtic were Sam Wood, Lowrie Simpson, Paul Leask, Scott Anderson, Ross Moncrieff (2) and Jordan Webb (2).

Reserve League
Scalloway 4, Celtic 2

The home team raced into a two-goal lead following a header from midfield goal machine Paul Tait and an excellent Noel Johnson strike.

Scott Anderson reduced the deficit with a fine break away goal before Billy Forsyth levelled the game with an excellent lob from distance.

Scalloway regained the lead through a David Bisset spot kick and made sure of the points with a well-placed shot by the impressive Scott Henderson.

Thistle 1, Delting 3

Thistle went ahead half way through first half with a goal from Garry Teale before Danny Peterson scored with a penalty for Delting to level at half time.

A Thistle own goal and an excellent finish from Sean Manson gave Delting a deserved 3-1 win.

Ness United 3, Spurs 3

The opener came from the boots of Spurs veteran winger Davy Macdonald as he scored directly from the corner kick. They scored their second through forward Connel Gresham.

Ness came out after half time a different team and Grant Redfern pulled one back before Sean Grogan equalised.

Ally Graham put Spurs ahead once more but John Robert Burgess got the equaliser for the home side.


Get Latest News in Your Inbox

Join the The Shetland Times mailing list to get one daily email update at midday on what's happening in Shetland.