Whalsay’s six-hit puts them top

WHALSAY put six past Yell to take over on goal difference at the top of senior football’s GS Flooring Premier League. Ness United had a mixed weekend, defeating Yell but losing to Spurs while Unst and Whitedale could not be separated in a high-scoring 5-5 draw.

GS Flooring Premier League
Ness United 5, Yell 2

Yell got off to an ideal start when Lee Jamieson hit a fierce drive from outside the box to put them one up 61 seconds into the game.

Ness pulled level quarter of an hour later when Tomas Smith finished off a good team move.

The home side threatened again when John Robert Burgess was sent through but he shot wide. Kevin Smith then burst past his marker and flashed a shot just wide. Burgess was sent through again but this time a dink over the keeper didn’t quite come off.

Ness were made to pay as Yell went ahead again just before half time when Nisbet blasted in a left-foot shot into the top corner.

ST26 FootyA determined Neil Petrie of Yell takes the ball forward against Ness last Friday.
Photo: Kevin Jones

Ness started the second half with the wind advantage and continued to press but some fine saves from Matthew Saunders in goal kept them out until a penalty was awarded after a Yell defender handled on the line. Burgess converted the spot kick and soon after Sean Grogan scored with a header to put Ness ahead.

Grant Redfern was then brought down in the box and Burgess fired in his second from the spot.

The game was then killed off when Grogan scored his second to make it 5-2 to the home side.

Best on the night for the home side were Rosie and Redfern while Lee Jamieson shone for Yell.

Whalsay 6, Yell 0

To begin with this was quite an even game with Yell battling hard in midfield and not allowing the home side time to get their passing together.

Whalsay broke the deadlock after 20 minutes when a ball crossed in from the right was met by Michael Williamson and the veteran marksman showed his class with a sublime volley that flew into the corner of the net.

Yell pressed Whalsay back into their own half for long periods during the remainder of the half and Jack Jamieson down the Yell left was a constant menace but it was always Whalsay who were looking dangerous on the break and Yell goalkeeper Matthew Saunders had to look lively on a couple of occasions.

It was one of these breaks that resulted in Allistair Johnson running through the defence to chip the keeper and put Whalsay 2-0 up at half time.

The second half saw Whalsay with the wind advantage and Yell were now struggling to get out of their own half. But they were defending well and it wasn’t until almost 20 minutes into the half that Whalsay got the killer third goal, Johnson showing good composure inside the box to finish past Saunders into the far corner.

Johnson completed his hat trick soon after in a similar situation, again placing a good shot into the left-hand corner from just inside the box.

With 15 minutes to go Johnson notched his fourth when a poor pass out of defence was intercepted by Laurence Pearson. He raced clear and unselfishly laid the ball across goal for Johnson to score from close range.

With Whalsay now starting to run away with it the woodwork came to Yell’s rescue on a couple of occasions. The scoring was completed in the final minute when a penalty was awarded for handball and young substitute Richie Hutchison bagged his first senior A team goal.

Unst 5, Whitedale 5

The home side went one up when Bruce Johnson swung a free kick into the box which was stabbed home by Erik Thomson.

Whitedale drew level when the Unst defence failed to clear and Brian Thompson drove home.

Unst played well against the strong wind and went 2-1 up with a good move on the left which led to Bruce Johnson volleying past a helpless keeper. Johnson grabbed his second when he ran onto a Thomson through ball to beat the on-rushing keeper.

Whitedale pushed forward once more and Ryan Joswik shot home their second goal.

Unst kept up their lead with another move up the left. Thomson’s shot was blocked but was only cleared as far as Ian Johnson on the right wing who smashed the ball home to make it 4-2 at half time.

Whitedale began the second half in good form with a quick strike by Donald Willmore to make it 4-3. But with Unst using the wind advantage, they were awarded a free kick on the edge of the box. Thomson stepped up to hit it low inside the left post.

Whitedale looked to be up against it but kept pushing forward. They managed a fourth goal when Alan Johnston hit a perfect ball through to Martin Clark, who shot past Unst keeper Liam Spence to give them a lifeline.

Unst brought on David Sutherland for the injured Thomson and tried to keep the ball in the opponents’ half. Try as they might, it kept coming back at them and, in the dying minutes, Whitedale swung in a cross to the back post, Unst defender Adam Johnson tried to clear but only succeeded in hitting the ball high into his own net for Whitedale’s equaliser.

Whitedale Manager Martin Gibbs was delighted at grabbing a point but Unst manager Paul Bell was incandescent with rage at the loss of a home win when it had seemed so close. Both teams had played pretty well in difficult conditions, with both doing better against the wind. A draw was about right but Whitedale will probably be the happier team, having been behind until their late equaliser.

Ness United 0, Spurs 5

No report was received, however scorers for Spurs were Danny Finnie (4) and Sam Ward.

Reserve League
Whitedale 2, Spurs 0

Alan Johnson and Paul Inkster got the Whitedale goals.

Scalloway 4, Whalsay 2

A Michael Williamson volley gave the visitors an early lead before Lewis Duncan levelled the scores.

In the second half Williamson scored his second but once again Scalloway equalised when Brydon Goodlad rose to head home a free kick.

In the closing minutes Rideon Reynolds gave Scalloway the lead and Shaun McCafferey made the points safe.

Delting 12, Ness 1

Goals for the winners came from Robert Balfour (3), Fraser Hall (3), Danny Peterson (2), Kevin Main, Steven Johnson, Bryden Mowat and a first ever from Garry Hall. Ness replied through David Thomson.

Celtic 4, Thistle 3

Scorers for Celtic were Billy Forsyth (2), Brett Haining and a Lowrie Simpson penalty. Thistle replied through Sean Sinclair (2) and Craig Leask.


Get Latest News in Your Inbox

Join the The Shetland Times mailing list to get one daily email update at midday on what's happening in Shetland.