Whalsay slip-up leaves Delting in clear

DELTING’S chances of retaining the title for the seventh year in succession received a massive boost this week. With the Brae men – who take on Thistle at Gilbertson Park this evening – out of action over the past fortnight, Whalsay were unable to take advantage as they slipped to a 2-1 defeat against ever-improving Spurs in Lerwick on Wednesday night. It leaves the islanders six points behind with a single game in hand, though the two teams still have to meet in Whalsay before the season is out.

G&S Flooring Premier League

Yell 1, Ness Utd 6
No report or scorers were received.

Spurs 2, Whalsay 1

The Lerwick side began impressively and created a few chances early on, only to be denied by Whalsay goalkeeper Grant Thomson on more than one occasion. The visitors then scored against the run of play through Ian Simpson who took a neat reverse pass from Keith Pearson and finished well.
They had a few dangerous crosses into the box but the Spurs defence coped well and shortly before half-time Josie Kay took a touch and toe-poked into the far corner for a deserved equaliser. The home team played on the break for much of the second half and went in front on the counter attack when Connel Gresham scored from a tight angle. Whalsay spent long periods of the remaining minutes in their opponents’ half but Spurs continued to threaten through the dangerous Sam Ward as they held on for a deserved victory, delivering a huge blow to the men from the Bonnie Isle in their quest to wrestle back the Premier League trophy which they last won in 2001.

Celtic 5, Whitedale 0

The Hoops moved into third place after recording a convincing victory thanks to braces from Dominic Mann and Lowrie Simpson and an effort from midfielder Jordan Webb.

Reserve League

Whalsay 2, Whitedale 0

Whalsay won on a fine night at Harbison Park in front of a decent crowd despite it being regatta week. Neil Arthur scored the opener with an unmissable two yarder even for his shooting standards and was followed by Philip Mowat who on another night could have had a hat-trick.

Whitedale 2, Delting 1

On the hottest night of the year so far at Strom, the game started at a fast pace with both sides creating chances but unable to find the net. Whitedale began to take control of the game more and looked hungrier to win. Veteran striker Vinny Walterson then released Ryan Stewart through, but the diminutive striker couldn’t find the net. The deadlock was soon broken though, when Walterson picked up the ball on the edge of the box, turned and shot into the bottom corner of the net, finishing with aplomb.

Both sides continued to create chances, but neither was able to find the onion bag, 1-0 at half time. Second half and the home side started slow. Delting, who knew they had to win this game to stay
in touch at the top of league, were pushing hard for a goal. It went against them though, when an unfortunate error by the young Delting keeper allowed Lewis King to hammer home. The visitors did get their reward, though, when with around 20 minutes to go Fraser Hall stabbed the ball home from a corner.

Delting continued to press for the equaliser and went gung-ho but found the Whitedale backline hard to break down and Ryan Leask was in impressive form in the sticks. Delting were perhaps unlucky not to have found a second goal but the determination and hard work shown by Whitedale was enough to secure all three points in the end. Best on the night for Whitedale were Fraser and Hodge at the back and centre midfield pairing of Jozwik and King with Hall looking sharp for the Delts.

Ness Utd 3, Thistle 2

With only three points between third place and sixth place Ness went into the game looking for
the win to get their season back on track. Thistle started well and were quick on the break but
some tenacious tackles from the defence and Liam Thomson in particular kept them at bay. Ness were looking to move the ball wide at every opportunity and when they did they started to cause Thistle problems. Ness got their first goal after the ball was played to Kyle Malcolmson who took a touch which deceived the unfortunate Thistle keeper as he missed the ball in an attempt to clear it and it trickled in to the empty net.

Ness were finding plenty of space in behind the visitors wing-backs and it was no time before David Thomson added another for the home-side. Alwyn Flaws then struck a screamer in over the keeper to put Ness 3-0 up at half-time.

Ness and Thistle both made changes at half-time with Ness United taking on Scott Lawson for David Thomson. Thistle came out of the blocks quickly and had Ness under the cosh, but again Ness captain Glyn Robertson marshalled his defence well and kept the wolf from the door. Ness had a good chance as Colin Spall went one on one with the keeper but he scuffed the shot wide. Thistle then got the break they were looking for as Colin Bragg fired the ball home to give them a life-line.

Ness went close through Scott Lawson as he sped past Ian Hannah but saw his shot hit the side netting. Garry Teale then got Thistle another goal after he hit the ball in over Flaws in the Ness goal. The game was played at a frenetic pace for the last 15 minutes as wave after wave of Thistle attacks broke on the thin red line of the Ness defence as they held on for the three points they had fought so hard for.

Celtic 3, Whalsay 1

Scorers for Celtic were Lowrie Simpson, Sam Wood and Scott Anderson while Ian Anderson replied for Whalsay.

Thistle 2, Spurs 5

Scorers for Thistle were Colin Bragg and Dale Henry and for Spurs, Sam Goudie, Adam Sharp, Laurence Robertson, Tommy Walterson and Lewis Kay.


Get Latest News in Your Inbox

Join the The Shetland Times mailing list to get one daily email update at midday on what's happening in Shetland.