Whalsay end West hopes in Parish Cup

WHALSAY qualified for this year’s Parish Cup final after defeating Westside United in a goal-packed match at Symbister last Saturday afternoon. The other finalist will be the winner of the match between Delting and Unst.

Whalsay 7, Westside United 2

One of the biggest crowds of the season was treated to a game full of action on a day almost too perfect for football.

The first 30 minutes were very even with the visitors coping with the home side’s attacking intent and also making plenty of attacks of their own.

The breakthrough came for the home side when good work down the right resulted in a Brian Irvine cross being headed back across goal and with the away side appealing for offside Ian Simpson picked up the loose ball and had all the time in the world to dispatch it into the far corner.

Whalsay then hit a purple patch for the next 10 minutes and Ian Simpson added to the lead when
a moment of hesitation inside the West penalty area allowed him to nip between the keeper and defender to head the ball into the net.

More pressure resulted in Keith Pearson making time and space for himself inside the box. However, just when his touch deserted him Martin Clark’s attempted clearance cannoned off Pearson and whizzed past the stranded Ertie Johnston in the Westside goal.

Westside, to their credit, didn’t give up and forced some pressure towards the end of the half. Jamie Wilson was a constant threat and his pace led to a half chance but his shot from an acute angle went narrowly over the bar.

Whalsay suffered a blow shortly before half time, losing their captain Karl Williamson due to a foot injury.
The second half was very even but the home side went further into the lead when Irvine supplied a cross for Pearson to get his second.

Westside finally got a goal that their efforts deserved when Vinny Walterson latched on to a long throw, outjumping everyone to head the ball into the net.

Shortly after Pearson completed his hat trick from the penalty spot when Colin Leask was fouled by Duncan Anderson inside the box.

Westside had a succession of chances to pull another goal back and must have been left scratching their heads as to how the ball stayed out.

Walterson was turning the clock back with a few efforts that Whalsay keeper Grant Thomson had to be
at his best to deal with and Clark probably missed the easiest chance of the day when he fired the
ball over the bar with the goal gaping.

Whalsay scored a couple more goals through Allistair Johnson and Michael Williamson to go 7-1 ahead.

Westside pulled one back late on, this time Kevin Nicolson latching on to another Duncan Anderson long throw to drive the ball into the net.

Referee Robbie Goudie then brought to an end a thoroughly entertaining match and although Whalsay deserved the win the 7-2 score was a bit harsh on a very determined Westside team.


Get Latest News in Your Inbox

Join the The Shetland Times mailing list to get one daily email update at midday on what's happening in Shetland.