Win secures reserve title for Whalsay

WITH the Shetland team away on Highland duty the action last Friday switched to the Reserve League, where Whalsay claimed the silverware with a win over Thistle. On Monday evening Delting squeezed through to their first cup final of the season with a hard-fought Fraser Cup semi-final win over Whitedale at Strom. In the County Shield preliminary matches there were comfortable wins for Celtic, Whalsay and Spurs while Thistle completely overwhelmed their works opponents Wast Linga Ramblers.

Fraser Cup (semi-final) Whitedale 2, Delting 3

No report was received from the match. Jamie Wilson got one of Whitedale’s goals while Fraser Hall and Alan Duncan replied for Delting. The other two scorers are unknown.

County Shield (Preliminary round) Celtic 5, Unst 1

Despite being pushed by a full-strength Unst side, Celtic ran out comfortable winners and progress to face Ness United in the first round.

On a fine, calm evening at Seafield the pace of the game rarely eased as both sides tried in the main to keep the ball moving on the fine surface. Celtic, however, had the lion’s share of possession and took the lead in the 10th minute and never looked back thereafter despite Unst’s best efforts.

That first goal came from Jordan Webb, the Hoops striker appearing to know little of his effort as it hit the side of his head and sailed in from a fine Sam Wood delivery from the right flank. Webb did, however, do all the hard work, peeling off a marker and making the jump. Maybe he closed his eyes at the crucial moment.

Celtic were soon two goals to the good when Dominic Mann, fresh back from Shetland duty, had the ball laid into feet in the box. The big striker turned and hit it low past the keeper to put fresh air between the two sides.

Unst were not done however and Celtic can be considered lucky to have maintained that early lead. Neil Laurenson headed past Paul Grant at the keeper’s right post as the static green defence watched on.

Unst really should have equalised when further hesitancy gave Paul Henderson room in the six-yard box, but his header slipped past the post when the net was probably easier to hit.

Celtic were then jolted into action once more. Lowrie Simpson made it 3-1, making the most of a defensive mix-up between keeper and centre back to knock home.

The evergreen Paul Leask finished the game as a contest as far as the score was concerned before the interval, finishing a good passing move with a great left-foot strike from just inside the box into the right corner.

Unst pressed early in the second half and Erik Thomson had a good effort from a wide free-kick delivery as the isles team continued with their efforts.

Celtic finished the scoring with half an hour to go when John Simpson, by a country mile their best performer on the night, won the ball and drove forward. He slipped a pass to Paul Leask on his right who took a touch then dispatched the ball past the keeper from 15 yards into the far corner.

Mann hit the bar with an effort from a tight angle before having to be carried from the field with an ankle injury, leaving his team a man down having used all three substitutes. The home side played the remainder of the game out, preventing Unst from mounting any kind of comeback by keeping the ball reasonably well.

Celtic were best served by the industrious Ross Moncrieff, Paul Leask and Simpson while the visitors. best efforts came from Erik Thomson, Neil Laurenson and centre back Darren Thomson.

Whalsay 4, Mossbank 0

Works League outfit Mossbank travelled to Whalsay probably fearing the worst. However, for the first 15 minutes they pressed and harried Whalsay into surrendering a lot of possession and even enjoyed some good spells of pressure.

The tide did inevitably start to turn and after a few decent chances that Mossbank keeper Ben Fulton did well to save the breakthrough came in the 20th minute. A neat passing move down the left ended with a square ball across goal which Brian Irvine fired into the net from close range.

The second came on the half hour when Ian Simpson was allowed time and space and scored at the near post from the edge of the box.

Whalsay were starting to flow and were well due their third goal when it came, even if there was a stroke of luck with it. A through ball from Brian Irvine was too far in front of the forwards but the Mossbank keeper, who performed heroics all night, misjudged the flight of the ball and it bounced over his outstretched arms. Despite his best efforts to recover, it crossed the line and the goal was given.

The second half was played at a very lacklustre pace by the home team’s standard. They retained possession for the most part but were guilty of some criminal finishing. Mossbank, to their credit, held firm thanks to some outstanding defending and goalkeeping from Fulton.

A fourth goal did come after a handball inside the area. Keith Pearson who had been Whalsay’s best player all night, made no mistake.

The final whistle blew shortly afterwards and Mossbank can feel proud of their efforts on a night when another works league team were well and truly put to the sword.

Spurs 6, Yell 1

Spurs progressed to the next round with a comfortable win over Yell. Connel Gresham (3), Josie Kay, Stuart Hall and Sam Ward got the Spurs goals while Lee Jamieson replied for Yell.

Thistle 17, WL Ramblers 0

The home side had a very comfortable win against their works league opposition. The goals came from Kevin Gifford (3), Neil Riddell (3), Colin Bragg (2), Adam Thomson (2), Craig Gerty (2), Stuart Smith, Craig Leask, Calvin Leask, Richard Manson and Paul Nicol.

Credit to the Ramblers for playing a difficult fixture in a sporting manner and they were unlucky not to grab a consolation goal at the start of the second half when they a brief sojourn in the Thistle half.

Reserve League Whalsay B 3, Thistle B 0

Whalsay started the game knowing that three points would secure the title.

This led to slight nerves in front of goal but the home side were passing well and making it difficult for the young thistle side. Michael Williamson eased the pressure on Whalsay by scoring towards the end of the first half.

Keith Pearson added a second early from the restart after Ian Hannah in the Thistle goal flapped at a cross. Richard Hutchison had the chance of the game but somehow managed to clear a goalbound Williamson cross with a spectacular overhead kick off the Thistle line.

Williamson rounded off the scoring with the goal of the game, starting and finishing with a powerful header after a pinpoint Philip Mowat cross.

Spurs 0, Ness United 1

James Moncrieff scored the only goal of the game for Ness.

Celtic 4, Scalloway 1

Scorers for Celtic were Sam Wood, Connor Regan, Scott Anderson (penalty) and Dave Adam while John Robert Umphray replied for Scalloway.

Spurs 1, Scalloway 3

No scorers were received.

Celtic 2, Delting 5

Delting secured second place with goals from Brydon Mowat, Martin Binns, Ally Williamson and two from Shaun Manson. Celtic replied through Jordan Webb and another Scott Anderson penalty.


Get Latest News in Your Inbox

Join the The Shetland Times mailing list to get one daily email update at midday on what's happening in Shetland.