Show sports were well attended

AMID sunshine and a stiff north wind, there was a good turnout on the football pitch for the Cunningsburgh Show sports last Wednesday.

The day opened with the 100 metres sprint race, won by Joshua Morrison with Thomas Smith in second place. For the girls Kirsty Laurenson made it home first with Amy Strachan second.

The various bairns’ races were then held – ball and spoon, sack and running races – and parents had a challenging and tactical ball and spoon race which provided the bairns with great amusement.

The show mile was up next with Morrison again taking first place in a time of 5:15:57 minutes, eight seconds quicker than last year. If there had not been the strong headwind he may have broken the record of 1997 runner Grant Gilfillan of 5:07 minutes. Bobby Bristow took second place with 5:32:85 minutes and Smith was third.

First in the girls’ section, improving on last year’s time, was Katie Bristow in 6:15 minutes, with Emma Leask second in 6:37 minutes and Sadie Younger third.

Finally the renowned Virdak hill race, a combination of flat and cross country running, was held on a wet and very windy track. Morrison came home first in 9:47 minutes, closely followed by Bobby Bristow and Katie Bristow in 13 minutes flat – ahead of last year’s winner Sadie Younger with 13:09 minutes and Emma Leask. Last but not least, and showing great stamina (maybe a future winner) was Rhea Inkster from Glasgow.

A spokesman said the show committee would like to thank sponsors Cee & Jay’s for the medals, Raymond and Hazel Aitken and the many volunteers, the participants and parents for the encouragement given.

Seveb teams took part in the show’s under-10 eight-a-side football tournament – Ness, Rangers, Scalloway, Spurs, Thistle, Whitedale and Whalsay. At the end of the round robin stage it was defending champions Ness who topped the league on 14 points with Scalloway only two points behind in second place. These two teams therefore progressed to the final.

Scalloway 2, Ness 0

Both teams worked very hard and knocked the ball around confidently throughout the final game.

Scalloway broke the deadlock mid way through the second half when Ally Young fired home the opener.

Ness battled hard but just couldn’t find the opening required to draw level.

Scalloway sealed a deserved victory with less than two minutes remaining with a fine goal from Hamish Hunter.


Get Latest News in Your Inbox

Join the The Shetland Times mailing list to get one daily email update at midday on what's happening in Shetland.