Estonian man assaulted pregnant wife

AN ESTONIAN man who assaulted his pregnant wife has been given two weeks to sort out his plans for the future.

Lerwick Sheriff Court heard Denis Zalekesin hoped to return to his homeland, despite having lived in Shetland for the past six years, when he appeared from custody on Monday.

The 30-year-old pleaded guilty to breaching the peace and assaulting his wife on Saturday evening, when he stood in the dock before Sheriff Graeme Napier.

The court heard tensions had erupted between Zalekesin’s wife and his aunt, who was on holiday from Estonia and was with the couple at their home in Gilbertson Road.

Procurator fiscal Duncan Mackenzie said Zalekesin “became aware of the latest day’s tensions” when he returned home from his work on Saturday evening.

“An argument developed with him demanding his wife apologise to his aunt.”

Zalekesin then grabbed his victim by the upper arm before dragging her upstairs and forcing her, “primarily by pushing her by the neck”, into a bedroom.

She had tried to grab walls and furniture to prevent herself from being forced up the stairs.

“By his own admission at one point he had her clear off the ground,” said Mr Mackenzie.

Shouting and swearing at her, Zalekesin forced her onto the bed before punching a hole in an internal wall.
The court heard he told her: “If I hit you, you’re never going to wake up.”

Zalekesin’s wife waited until everyone in the house was asleep before ordering a taxi and going to the police station.

“She was extremely frightened of him and what he might do,” said Mr Mackenzie.

As a result of the assault she sustained a sore left cheek and a painful upper left arm that had red finger marks on it which could cause bruising.

The court heard she did not seek medical attention, and there were no concerns about her unborn child.

Defence solicitor Tommy Allan said Zalekesin was working for a local oil firm.

He was unable to provide the court with a bail address, although he would undertake to find a room at a bed and breakfast.

Asked by Sheriff Napier, Mr Allan said Zalekesin had not had any contact with his victim, “as far as I am aware”.

He said Zalekesin was considering moving back to Estonia, although he would have to wait to see what happened in relation to any court proceedings.

Sheriff Napier deferred sentence until 24th September. “That will allow you time to think about what you are proposing to do.”

Releasing him on bail, he imposed a special condition that Zalekesin does not approach his victim, and stays clear of Gilbertson Road.


Get Latest News in Your Inbox

Join the The Shetland Times mailing list to get one daily email update at midday on what's happening in Shetland.