Strong turnout to remember 90 years on from end of World War I


NINETY years after the end of the First World War, the annual remembrance parade to commemorate those who died during that and other conflicts was held on Sunday, with one of the biggest turnouts in years.

The march was made up of TA members, veterans and the members of the youth organisations the Scouts, Guides and Boys Brigade. Events began at 10.30am, when those taking part left the Royal British Legion Lerwick branch and headed to Fort Charlotte to meet others and prepare for the march. The parade, led by the Pipe Band of the Lerwick branch of the Royal British Legion, then marched towards the war memorial to meet the wreath bearers.

Several wreaths were laid on behalf of the services. Coastguard watch assistant Ann Marie Blair laid a wreath on behalf of the organisation. From the TA, a wreath was laid by Donnie Sutherland; from the Royal National Mission to Deep Sea Fishermen by Paul Govier and on behalf of the Royal British Legion by committee member Sheila Fowler. The service was taken by Captains Tom and Tori Richardson of the Salvation Army, with music from the Lerwick Brass Band.

To mark the two minute silence, the Coastguard set off maroons, at 11am and again at two minutes past. This was carried out by Shetland sector manager John Webster, who explained that this could be one of the last times that maroons are used in the ceremony, as due to changes in communications and technology, they are rarely used by the Coastguard anymore. Mr Webster said of the day: “It was one of the best turnouts I’ve seen in years.”

The parade then continued along the upper Hillhead and down the lower Hillhead, ending below the war memorial where Lord Lieutenant John Scott took the salute. He said: “It was a very good turnout for the parade and very much appreciated that so many people came to watch.”

After this the march continued to the Legion, where soup and sandwiches were provided before the annual charity presentation of gifts.

John Taylor, who organised the day’s events, said: “It was a very cold day, but a very moving and enjoyable ceremony. It was very pleasant to see the amount of people who were waiting at the Town Hall, including our MSP.”


Get Latest News in Your Inbox

Join the The Shetland Times mailing list to get one daily email update at midday on what's happening in Shetland.