Burra go top after 10-goal works thriller

Burra moved to the top of the Northwards Shetland Works League after beating leaders Chernobyl in a high-scoring game, with Danny Pirie scoring all six of Burra’s goals in the first half. Mossbank came from behind to beat Wastside Rebels, and Malakoff performed a similar trick to beat old rivals Banks in a very close game. West Linga Ramblers claimed their first points of the season when winning by the odd goal in a thriller against Lerwick PL.

This weekend sees the works league strike a musical note with its version of Westside Story with West Linga Ramblers hosting Wastside Rebels in what is sure to be a great game. Lerwick PL travel over the bridges to Burra, with the Poles looking to get their first points against an in-form team. Banks take on league hopefuls Services, while youth meets experience with Mossbank playing Chernobyl.

Northwards Shetland Works League

Malakoff 2, Banks 1

Both sides were missing key and regular faces, on a beautiful evening for what proved to be yet another classic encounter between two of the league’s true originals and oldest fierce but friendly foes.

Banks, who over the past couple of years have been on the wrong end of heavy defeats to the mari­time adventurers, took the game to them and were having the better of the match. With the breeze behind them they were rewarded when the always dangerous Ryan “Curly” Mustard ceased on a lapse in the Malakoff midfield to slide the ball in past Derek Duncan.

Malakoff were jolted into life but could find no way past a combination of the woodwork and Banks keeper Richard Polson in fine form.

Banks were unlucky not to add to their lead when Malakoff scrambled the ball off the line. They continued to press but were well managed by Michael “English” Light and Adrian Henry at the back for Malakoff.

In the second half Malakoff, with the stiff wind behind them, took control. Duncan’s kick-outs were causing all sorts of difficulties and things came to a head when he fired the ball straight down the park. It looped over Polson and came back off the bar, and luckily for the shipwrights Steven Leckie was on hand to head in for 1-1.

The boatbuilders smelled blood or it could have been nautical paint off the Clickimin bar, and Duncan again nearly scored from a kick out. This time Polson tipped the ball onto the bar when it looked to be going in.

They did, however, find the lead when Johnny Manson’s marauding run into the box ended with him being felled. Referee Bradley pointed to the spot and Craig Jenkins gladly converted for 2-1.

To their credit Banks fought back and were extremely unlucky not to score on the break. Matthew Anderson played iln Mustard who was left one-on-one with Duncan but the keeper showed his class with a fantastic double save to defy the men in magenta.

After a truly excellent encounter between two teams who typify what the works league is all about, Malakoff very lucky to leave with three points. Best for them were full backs Rory Binns and Johnny Manson not to mention keeper Duncan.

Banks, who gave it their all, were well served by Polson in goals, Jeremy Duncan at full back and midfielders Semple, Hance and Anderson.

Mossbank 4, Wastside Rebels 1

Craig Sneddon was the hero for Mossbank with a four-goal haul against an improving Wastside Rebels.

Mossbank were dealt a big blow in the first 15 minutes of the game when influential midfielder Richard Turi had to be carried off with a nasty-looking ankle injury. After a reshuffle with debutant Ben Cranie replacing the Hungarian and the versatile Dave Anderson moved up front, it looked to have paid off when Anderson managed to beat the keeper and head a Connell Richardson cross in before being harshly being ruled offside.

Wastside started to come into the game as the half progressed, spurning several chances before taking the lead with a contender of fluke of the season. Carl Leask picked up the ball on the right hand side and from the touchline managed to launch the ball high in the air. Somehow the ball deceived keeper Michael Owers and landed over the line to put the Rebels 1-0 up.

The second half started fairly quietly until Mossbank managed to grab an equaliser. A move down the left involving Sneddon, Forrester and Richardson led in the latter being brought down in the box. Sneddon stepped up to put the ball to the keeper’s right to make it 1-1. The score remained that way until 15 minutes from time when Sneddon had a left-shot shot deflected to beat the keeper.

It looked as if Mossbank may have shot themselves in the foot when Shaun Macgregor managed to get himself sent off for two bookable offences, but within minutes Sneddon clinched a hat trick with a superb free kick.

The fourth and final goal came from a Wastside free-kick. The ball was expertly cleared by Martyn Neeson on the goal line, the ball managed to break to John Hutchison who superbly slipped in Sneddon who clinically chipped the keeper to complete a perfect day for him.

Credit must go to the Rebels who despite the score aused Mossbank lots of problems and was very unlucky to lose to three goals in the last 15 minutes. A special mention to Richard Turi with all involved with Mossbank FC wishing him a speedy rec­overy.

Best for Mossbank were goal hero Sneddon, Dave Anderson and Steven Giblin who got on with his job quietly. Rebels’ best were Guy Tindall and Mossbank old boy Magni Einarsson.

Burra 6, Chernobyl 4

The top-of-the-table clash saw an understrength Chernobyl visit a windswept Hamnavoe park.

The home side were also missing several players and had to start with 10 men as Craig Smith rushed down from the Collafirth rowing regatta.

That didn’t affect Burra, however, and they went one up after four minutes when the in-form Danny Pirie rounded the goalie and calmly put them one up.

Chernobyl bounced straight back and equalised a minute later when Alan Taylor was at hand to poke the ball past Burra’s fifth choice keeper Ian Hannah.

With Burra’s late arrival taking the field they started to dominate, Pirie added his second and completing his hat trick on the 20-minute mark, thanks to some accurate passing play by both John William Halcrow and Ian Uren.

Chernobyl didn’t let their heads go down and pulled it back to 3-2 when Magnus Malcolmson drove home from 10 yards after Burra failed to clear from a corner. However, Burra’s goal cushion was back to two a few minutes later when Pirie made it four as he cut in from the left side and curled the ball into the far corner.

Burra’s and Pirie’s fifth soon followed and on the stoke of half time he completed a memorable first half double hat trick to send Burra in 6-2 at the break.

In the second half Chernobyl tried to use the wind advantage to claw their way back into the game and did get themselves a third when Adam Swift headed in from a corner.

That spurred them on and pushed more men forward but Burra’s centre back pairing of John William Laurenson and William John Robertson were dealing with everything thrown at them.

Robert Wright got a fourth for the visitors in the dying minutes but Burra were more than comfortable winners, taking Cher­nobyl’s unbeaten run in the league to an end and continuing theirs.

Best for Chernobyl were Magnus Malcolmson and Adam Swift caused a threat. Apart from double hat trick hero Pirie, Joshua Fraser and Brydon Pottinger deserve praise for Burra’s perfor­mance.

Sarah Couper refereed the game to a high standard.

Lerwick PL 2, West Linga Ramblers 3

A warm sunny evening made it hard work for both teams.

PL started off well, applying pressure from the start, but it was West Linga that made the first breakthough. David Arthur made a good break on the right wing, passing the ball to Laurence Tulloch, who slid it through to Gary Leask for an easy tap in.

The score remained 1-0 until half time, with both sides not able to take advantage of clear opportunities at either end, with the PL keeper making a number of important saves. Soon after the start of the second half Laurence Tulloch picked up the ball on the edge of the box with his back to the goal. Turning very tightly while holding off a close defender, he was able to strike a firm low shot, which entered the goal off the inside of the post.

PL tarted to put some good passes together and threatened the West Linga goal, but it took a well-struck free kick on the edge of the box that rewarded them with their first goal. Grzegorz Hayewski floated the ball high into the top left corner leaving Sean Leask in goal struggling to reach it.

At this point the match was delicately poised with chances at both ends, and it took a sweetly struck shot from over 20 yards to increase West Linga’s lead. It was Kenneth Reid who surprised everyone with his shot, following the one-yard attempt last week which he put over the bar.

At 3-1 West Linga thought they had the match sealed, but with about 10 minutes to go PL took a quick free kick, catching everyone unaware. Lee Hunter pounced on a perfectly weighted ball, neatly stroking it into the lower left corner.

At 3-2 PL threw everything at the West Linga goal until the final whistle, but West Linga were able to hold on to the lead. It was a difficult game to manage with four yellow cards handed out to both sides, but credit to Robbie Leask whose refereeing skills kept a difficult game flowing.

Fixtures (kick offs 6pm weekend and 6.30pm midweek unless otherwise stated)

Tomorrow – Northwards Shetland Works League: West Linga Ramblers v Wastside Rebels at Whalsay (3.30pm, Robert Geddes); Lerwick PL v Burra at Clickimin South (Ivan Sinclair); Banks v Services at Gilbertson Park (Robbie Leask); Mossbank v Chernobyl at Seafield (to be arranged).

Sunday – Northwards Shetland Works League: Malakoff v Wrultizers at Clickimin South (Steven Goodlad).

Tuesday – Northwards Shetland Works League: Services v Wrultizers at Clickimin South (TBC).

Thursday – Northwards Shet­land Works League: Mossbank v Malakoff at Clickimin South (TBC).


Get Latest News in Your Inbox

Join the The Shetland Times mailing list to get one daily email update at midday on what's happening in Shetland.