The cruise liner Marco Polo, which paid a visit to Lerwick last week, is to terminate its latest voyage at Invergordon in the Highlands after a suspected outbreak of the norovirus on board.
Four people are being treated in hospital and around 340 passengers and 40 members of the crew have been assessed by doctors after complaining of feeling unwell.
One passenger, a 74-year-old man from Norwich named Roy Sillett, died of an apparent heart attack on the ship on Monday. Operator Transocean Tours of Bremen said his death was unconnected with the outbreak, although medical authorities have yet to state this.
The passengers on board are not those who were in Lerwick, the ship having docked in Tilbury near London late last week.
At 8.30pm on Tuesday the firm said it was making arrangements for all passengers who are fit to travel to return home.
A spokeswoman said: “Those passengers where doctors do not recommend travelling at this time will remain onboard for continued nursing and will be repatriated once fully recovered.”