Foula folk pluck lucky Kiss Kiss from cliff face

Kiss Kiss is rescued from the cliff.
Kiss Kiss is rescued from the cliff.

Islanders plucked a tiny Shetland pony from certain death after she disappeared down a cliff in Foula on Sunday.

The 28-inch pony Kiss Kiss was spotted on a remote headland just before 5pm after it was noticed she was not with the herd.

Jim and Sheila Gear had been conducting a bird survey when they saw Kiss Kiss’ sister and older mares at the edge of a cliff. Glancing down, they saw grey and white Kiss Kiss on the headland known as Lamba Toon, 50ft below. Realising the four year old pony was stuck, they phoned the fire brigade.

Kiss Kiss is owned by the Gears’ grandson Paul, aged seven. His mother Penny, daughter of Jim and Sheila, said: “How she got there is a mystery. The headland is impassable for horses, although sheep do go there. But there is no water there and no way Kiss Kiss could have got herself up.”

By coincidence Penny and her brother Kevin form the island’s fire service. The pair were on fire practice at the time and knew there was an emergency when their pagers went off. Some of their cousins were visiting and they were pressed into service, scrambling down the cliff with ropes and water. A frightened Kiss Kiss, described as “very gentle”, was distressed and had to be caught, but eventually took a drink from Kevin’s hands.

The rescue took place by placing two halters round the pony in case one gave way, with a lead rope on each. Penny said: “Two men pulled the ropes from above and dad pushed from behind. We were placing Kiss Kiss’ feet so that she could get purchase.” The ground on the cliff is stony and grassy with sandstone blocks, she said, and the pony could not have managed by herself.

Neither could the rescue have taken place with firefighters in uniform – the fire crew decided on normal clothes, so as not to scare Kiss Kiss any more, and sturdy footwear with rubber soles.

Eventually Kiss Kiss (registered under her full name North Harrier Kiss Kiss) was hauled to the top of the cliff. Penny said: “She was very glad to see the herd again and greeted her sister and immediatedly went to eat green grass. She couldn’t have got up herself – she would have run around and fallen off the cliff or died from lack of water. If she’d been bigger there’s no way we could have towed her up and she was reluctant to go because she thought she couldn’t do it.”

The whole incident took more than two hours and a relieved Penny said: “It was a wonderful outcome and we’re very thankful. Thank goodness all that folk were there.”


Add Your Comment

Add Your Comment

Please note, it is the policy of The Shetland Times to publish comments and letters from named individuals only. Both forename and surname are required.

Comments are moderated. Contributors must observe normal standards of decency and tolerance for the opinions of others.

The views expressed are those of contributors and not of The Shetland Times.

The Shetland Times reserves the right to decline or remove any contribution without notice or stating reason.

Comments are limited to 200 words but please email longer articles or letters to for consideration and include a daytime telephone number and your address. If emailing information in confidence please put "Not for publication" in both the subject line and at the top of the main message.

200 words left

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.


Get Latest News in Your Inbox

Join the The Shetland Times mailing list to get one daily email update at midday on what's happening in Shetland.