O’Hoy sets the pace in Lerwick Regatta

Lerwick Boating Club’s 107th annual regatta got under way last Friday in very light winds, resulting in the postponement of all but one of the Mirror races.

Craig Forrest and Darren Eldridge sailing O’Hoy won the Bournlea Shield with Leiraness (Rory Goodlad and Karl Eldridge) the only other finisher of the healthy entry of eight boats.

The postponed Mirror races were held on Tuesday night in light, southerly winds. O’Hoy continued her success by winning both the LBC Mirror Dinghy Trophy and the Alistair Jackson Memorial Trophy.

Leiraness was again second in both races, while third in both races were Saul Swanson and Calum Mustard in Knab. The Bressay Trophy for best female helm was won by Kerry McGregor in Seamew.

The first of the three yacht races, on Friday evening, just about managed to find enough wind from somewhere, in what amounted to no more than a “drifting match” according to one competitor.

The shortened race for the Country Club Cup, after the handicaps were calculated, was won by the newcomer Ritchie Fraser in Simmer Dim with White Magic (Dougie Wiseman) second and Roundabout (Drew Sutherland) third.

Awakening on Saturday morning the winds were again very light. As the morning progressed they did increase to light and variable, meaning that there was a delay to the start of the day’s racing.

For the first Shetland Model race the course was set as Pier/Ham/Gardie and five Shetland Models took to the water for the Young Cup. The men from Whalsay took the honours with Skirmish (Johnny Simpson) making steady progress throughout to pass all the others. Solus (Brydon Leask) was second with Verve (Scott Nicolson) third.

There were two dipping lug races sailed, for the Queens Tankard and the Accutrac Trophy. They were both won by Brakkin Wind (Andrew Tait) with Krakk At (Jim Tait) second in both.

The second yacht race of the weekend was for the elusive Fraser Cup. The winds had increased steadily as the morning progressed, making for a good race. Four yachts entered with White Magic first, Simmer Dim second and Roundabout third.

Due to the delayed start to the morning’s races it was decided to go for mince and tatties early and run the afternoon Shetland Model races back to back.

After dinner in the club the sailors reappeared to find the wind was still light and variable. After some consideration the same course was set for the afternoon racing.

The Gifford Cup for Shetland Models was won again by the men from Whalsay, with a good upwind leg, this time by Scunner (Gibbie Irvine). Verve improved one place from the morning to take second with Skirmish third.

The final yacht race of the day was for the Royal Western Salver and five yachts took to the water this time. The longer race suited Roundabout who for the third time took line honours but this time also first place after the handicaps were calculated, by a mere two seconds. White Magic was second with Simmer Dim third. This resulted in White Magic taking the Evelyn Rae Memorial Trophy for yacht performance.

The final race of the day was for the LBC Challenge Cup for Shetland Models. In a close finish the Lerwick men won this one with Solus first and Verve second, just holding off the fast finishing Skirmish in third.

The overall competition for the LBC Performance Shield for Shetland models was very close with Solus, Verve and Scunner all tying on seven points. The rules indicated that the final race results determined the winner resulting in Solus picking up the LBC Shield.

The Mirror races for the Geordie Leith Memorial Cup took place on Sunday morning, again in light winds. A good number of seven Mirrors were entered with some close racing producing the same result in all the races. O’Hoy was first, Leiraness second and Knab third.

The afternoon dinghy races attracted a very healthy entry of 16 boats. This resulted in some close, exciting racing which produced a lot of incident including one or two collisions – thankfully any damage to the boats was hoping to be repaired in time for this week’s Inter Club racing. The first race for the Kveldsro Cup was won by the brand new Albacore Storm (Steven Brown), with the visiting Rock and Roll II (Colin Tait) second and White Lightning (Willum Mouatt) third. Just four seconds separated the first two boats for the Thistle Trophy. White Lightning was first this time with Storm second and Rock and Roll II third.

The final dinghy race for the Sullom Voe Terminal Trophy, was again very close with White Lightning first once again, Rock and Roll II second and Storm third.

The prize-giving took place in the clubhouse after each day’s racing, with the Sandyburn Boys providing the entertainment on Friday night and the Corbies proving popular once again, particularly for one yacht crew, on the Saturday night.

A spokesman for Lerwick Boating Club passed on their thanks to all those who gave up their time to help make the regatta such a success, including the guard boat crews, race officers, starters/timekeepers, those involved in preparing and serving food, the volunteer bar staff and the musicians for the entertainment.

The spokesman wished thanks to the four new buoy sponsors – namely Thulecraft, Arch Hen­derson, Malakoff and David Adamson & Partners and to all those who took part in the races, without whom it would not be possible to have a regatta.


Get Latest News in Your Inbox

Join the The Shetland Times mailing list to get one daily email update at midday on what's happening in Shetland.