Whalsay come out top in 7-a-side hockey tournament

President of the Shetland Ladies Hockey Association Helen Robetson presents the Town Hall trophy to Whalsay captain Maree Simpson. Click on image to enlarge.
President of the Shetland Ladies Hockey Association Helen Robetson presents the Town Hall trophy to Whalsay captain Maree Simpson. Click on image to enlarge.

Whalsay were the winners of the Town Hall 7-a-side knock out hockey tournament last Thursday. Although conditions proved to be less than favourable this did not dampen spirits and a high level of hockey was played throughout the night.

Whalsay 1, Delting 0

Whalsay had the first pass back and pushed forward immediately looking to seal a quick goal. Brenda Leask and Jillian Copland were on hand though to break up the advancing Victoria Duthie and Catherine Williamson. The deadlock was broken in the fifth minute when Victoria Duthie slotted the ball past the keeper to give Whalsay the lead.

In the second half Julie Kirkness almost levelled things up when her strike on goal missed by inches. Brenda Leask made some searching runs through the middle of the park but great defensive work from Maggie Irvine soon thwarted any threat to the Whalsay goal. Whalsay in the end managed to hang on and progressed to the semi final.

Burra 2, Spurs 0

This was a quick paced end to end game. Gayle Johnson came close to scoring for Spurs early on but Sarah Couper in goal quickly came off her line and charged down the imposing strike. Josie Jamieson gave Burra the advantage just before half time when her shot found the back of the goal.

Two minutes into the second half Burra doubled their lead from a short corner which was superbly executed with Kristen Robertson sending the ball past the Spurs keeper. Spurs continued to try to salvage something from the game with some great linking play in midfield between Rhona Simpson and Emma Inkster who tried to drive their team on. However Burra’s defence stood firm, sending them through to the semi final to face Whalsay.

Zetland 1, Scalloway 0

There was everything to play for in this match as the winner would automatically advance to the final. Both teams worked tirelessly in the first half to gain the upper hand but at half time it remained stalemate. Scalloway had the pass back at the beginning of the second half and instantly tried to mount an attack on the Zetland goal. This was quickly broken up and Scalloway were stretched at the back.

Zetland’s Stacey Gardiner received the ball on the right wing from which she launched a precision pass in to Scalloway’s D to Helen Robertson whose unstoppable shot found the bottom left of the goal giving keeper Christine Laurenson no chance.

The remainder of the match saw staunch defending from Zetland. Scalloway were unlucky not to have got something from the game but in the end Zetland maintained their narrow lead to take them into the final.

Whalsay 1, Burra 0

Both teams were eager to get off to a good start. Josie Jamieson always looked dangerous with the ball and linked well with Stacey Laurenson but Whalsay’s Zoe Irvine was on hand to close down any prominent attacking opportunites.

Three minutes into the match Whalsay’s Maree Simpson got on the score sheet when she found herself in prime position to sweep the ball past the Burra keeper. Catherine Williamson came close to adding to Whalsay’s score but excellent goal keeping still kept Burra in the game. Just as Jamieson picked up the ball on the half way line and was racing towards the

Whalsay goal the final whistle went much to Whalsay’s relief. The one goal lead was enough for Whalsay to progress to the final where they would face Zetland.

Whalsay 2, Zetland 0

Zetland started well with Shona and Aimee Keith linking well in midfield. Whalsay went ahead in the third minute when Maggie Irvine’s pass was met by Catherine Williamson who put the ball past the Zetland keeper.

Whalsay used the second half pass back to their advantage to move the ball quickly up the park. Zoe Irvine’s great individual stick work and perseverance paid off and she increased Whalsay’s lead.

Despite being two goals down Zetland’s determination never faltered and they continued to work hard. Shona Keith made some threatening runs up the left wing powering her team forward but Maree Simpson was quick to cut out the danger. Helen Robertson came very close to scoring for Zetland as her shot narrowly missed the target. Debie Kane in the Zetland goal made a number of fantastic saves to give Zetland a glimmer of hope but in the end time was against Zetland and so Whalsay secured their first silverware of the season.

Helen Robertson, chairwoman of the Shetland Ladies Hockey Association, presented the trophy to the delighted Whalsay team. A special thank you to Simon Skinner and Janice Johnston for umpiring all the matches.

For more hockey reports, fixtures and tables, see this week’s Shetland Times.


Add Your Comment

Add Your Comment

Please note, it is the policy of The Shetland Times to publish comments and letters from named individuals only. Both forename and surname are required.

Comments are moderated. Contributors must observe normal standards of decency and tolerance for the opinions of others.

The views expressed are those of contributors and not of The Shetland Times.

The Shetland Times reserves the right to decline or remove any contribution without notice or stating reason.

Comments are limited to 200 words but please email longer articles or letters to editorial@shetlandtimes.co.uk for consideration and include a daytime telephone number and your address. If emailing information in confidence please put "Not for publication" in both the subject line and at the top of the main message.

200 words left

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.


Get Latest News in Your Inbox

Join the The Shetland Times mailing list to get one daily email update at midday on what's happening in Shetland.