Scorie coughs up budgie in return for chips
Lerwick woman Jill Newman and her mother Betty Keegan got a shock this week when an unusual object dropped from the sky.
The women were each enjoying a cone of chips as they strolled along Commercial Street on Tuesday, when a throng of gulls, lured by the smell, began circling them. One gull was so tempted by the chips that it dropped its catch. The catch, incredibly, was a live budgie and, if that was not surprising enough, it dropped onto Jill’s head.
Jill said: “I felt something scrape my head then saw it hit the Thulecraft window. I couldn’t believe it when I saw it was a budgie!”
The budgie, scared but no doubt relieved, flew upwards to the walls beneath Fort Charlotte. Once she had got over the shock Jill attempted to retrieve the bird, but it remained just out of reach.
By now an interested party had gathered to watch the rescue attempt and with the help of a net from the toy department at Harry’s the budgie was caught, although Jill received a good few nips for all her trouble.
Jill said the small bird, which is tagged, was “very traumatised and shaking” and after finally catching it the women took it to the vets to get a box for it. After giving it some seed and water it perked up and the budgie is now safe at Betty’s home where she is looking after it until someone comes forward.
Jill said: “It’s a beautiful bird; I don’t think my mum wants to part with it.”
However anyone who has recently lost a budgie is urged to get in touch with Betty on (01595) 695161.
Jill said the whole situation must have looked “a laugh”. She said: “It was just the last thing you’d expect when you’re walking along eating a poke of chips.”