Man kept in custody after visiting ex-partner’s house uninvited

A man who breached a matrimonial interdict by entering his ex-partner’s house uninvited was remanded in custody when he appeared in court the next day.

Oliver William Tait, 38, of West House, East Burrafirth in Aith, admitted breaching the peace at a house in Wirliegert and refusing to leave when requested to do so.

Lerwick Sheriff Court heard Tait, who has alcohol problems, had strong feelings for his son who he was eager to keep in touch with, although he had failed to appreciate the distress his behaviour could cause.

Defence agent Chris Dowle said Tait had suffered amnesia and had no recollection of the event. Tait had also been assessed by a doctor who said he would be a suitable candidate for rehab.

Mr Dowle urged Sheriff Graeme Napier to release Tait on bail, adding he often helped out on his elderly father’s croft. “He’s clearly asking for another chance. He does accept if he can’t control his behaviour he’ll be back before you again,” he said.

However procurator fiscal Duncan MacKenzie said Tait would probably fail to abide by any court order if he was spared custody. “The most effective way for him to go on detox would be a short period of remand,” he said.

Remanding him, sheriff Napier told Tait he had enjoyed “sufficient chances in the past” to sort himself out. He deferred sentence until 28th January for reports.

Three people who fought with each other after a night in the pub stood side by side in the dock the next day.

Engaged couple Sean Harnett, 40, of Mill Lane in Lerwick, and Pauline Robertson, 41, of Leaside in Mossbank, breached the peace in Harnett’s flat on Thursday.

Robertson’s daughter, Samantha Arthur, 21, of Staney Hill, Lerwick, also admitted being involved in the incident when the trio appeared in court on Friday.

Procurator fiscal Duncan MacKenzie said the three had been drinking in the pub when an argument developed between them. The row proved bad enough for Robertson to break off her engagement with Harnett, before all three returned to his address.

Thereafter a “disturbance broke out with all three of them fighting,” said Mr MacKenzie. The police were called but their conduct failed to show any signs of improvement.

Bar worker Robertson was “particularly aggressive” and Harnett, who works as a child care worker for the SIC, “tried to slam a door in the face of police officers”.

Defence agent for all three, Chris Dowle, said they were ashamed of what had happened and accepted responsibility for it. He said he was “not in a position to comment” on whether the two first accused planned to continue their relationship.

Sheriff Graeme Napier fined Harnett and Robertson £200 each. He deferred sentence on unemployed Arthur for six months for good behaviour.

Sentencing, he said: “I take it you all accept this was disgraceful behaviour and I hope you are thoroughly ashamed of yourselves.”


Get Latest News in Your Inbox

Join the The Shetland Times mailing list to get one daily email update at midday on what's happening in Shetland.