Whalsay and Spurs through to pre-season football knockout tournament

Whalsay earned a semi-final match against Whitedale after beating Ness while Spurs will play Celtic in the other semi after victory over town rivals Thistle in the quarter finals of the pre-season Highland Fuels Cup.

Highland Fuels Cup quarter-finals

Whalsay 3, Ness Utd 1

Whalsay dominated play in the first half and took the lead after 15 minutes when the ball broke kindly for Alistair Johnson who struck it into the top corner from the edge of the box. Keith Pearson doubled the lead on the stroke of half time when he gathered the ball after an initial shot struck the post and finished coolly across the keeper into the far corner.

In the second half Ness enjoyed some dominance and pinned the home side back for prolonged periods. They came close with a couple of long range efforts. Whalsay scored a third against the run of play when they broke upfield and Alistair Johnson again finished past Erik Peterson.

Ness to their credit continued to push forward and got their reward with 15 minutes to go when the Whalsay keeper cleared the ball straight to Ian Bray who duly lobbed Thomson to grab a deserved goal for Ness. After this Whalsay regrouped and managed to see the game out and go forward to the semis to meet Whitedale.

Spurs 4, Thistle 1

On a fine night for football in Whalsay, Spurs started the brighter of the two teams but did not have much to show for their efforts other than James Johnston crashing a fine shot off the post with the Thistle keeper well beaten.

The deadlock was broken on the half hour mark with good link up play between Spurs skipper Josie Kay and Connell Gresham, with the latter producing a fine finish. Spurs from then on dominated the midfield battle. The second half started as the first ended and it didn’t take long for Spurs to double their lead through the best move of the game, resulting in new signing Scot Morrison dispatching the ball into the top corner from 20 yards. Morrison added his second and his team’s third after out stripping his former team’s back line before wrong footing Henry in the Thistle goal.

Spurs were never really troubled after that and added a fourth through second half sub Sam Goudie. Thistle did grab a late consolation through Craig Gerty to end the game 4-1 to Spurs. A solid performance from Spurs with new signing Morrison and Alisdair Graham shining through while for Thistle the hard working Gerty and the Teale brothers at the back were their best on the night.

Highland Fuels Cup semi-finals

Whalsay and Whitedale are set to play the first tie of the semi-final round at Harbison Park Whalsay on Wednesday.

The other semi-final tie sees Spurs involved in another town derby as they take on Celtic. This match will be played on Friday, again in Whalsay.


Add Your Comment

Add Your Comment

Please note, it is the policy of The Shetland Times to publish comments and letters from named individuals only. Both forename and surname are required.

Comments are moderated. Contributors must observe normal standards of decency and tolerance for the opinions of others.

The views expressed are those of contributors and not of The Shetland Times.

The Shetland Times reserves the right to decline or remove any contribution without notice or stating reason.

Comments are limited to 200 words but please email longer articles or letters to editorial@shetlandtimes.co.uk for consideration and include a daytime telephone number and your address. If emailing information in confidence please put "Not for publication" in both the subject line and at the top of the main message.

200 words left

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.


Get Latest News in Your Inbox

Join the The Shetland Times mailing list to get one daily email update at midday on what's happening in Shetland.