Scalloway and Whalsay to contest football’s Manson Cup final

Click on image to enlarge.

Scalloway experienced the highs and lows of senior football when, following an excellent 3-1 win over Spurs in the Manson Cup semi-final on Friday, they were humbled 10-0 when the same two teams met in the G&S Flooring Premier League on Monday. Whalsay also made the Manson Cup final with a comfortable victory over Whitedale, while elsewhere in the league Celtic and Delting triumphed over Ness United and Thistle respectively.

Manson Cup

Scalloway 3, Spurs 1

The visitors started well and opened the scoring after a rash tackle in the penalty area resulted in Shane Jamieson converting from the penalty spot.

Scalloway levelled midway through the half after a defence-splitting pass from Jamie Allan released Scott Henderson through on goal and the striker finished into the far corner. Soon after Henderson almost gave his team the lead with a lob shot which fell the wrong side of the crossbar.

With minutes remaining in the first half Spurs were awarded a second penalty but this time Jamieson’s effort was blocked by the outstretched arm of Scalloway keeper Bryan Johnson.

Early in the second half Spurs went close to after a fine solo effort from Connell Gresham went narrowly wide and a Dominic Mann header struck the upright.

The home team then appeared to take the upper hand thanks to some solid defending and determined battling in midfield. Their efforts were rewarded when Alan Davidson’s cross found its way into the net as Henderson just failed to reach the ball with his head but did enough to put off keeper Craig Dinwoodie.

Scalloway’s place in the final was confirmed when a Davidson shot was deflected into the net after substitute Gary Burns made an instant impact by winning possession and picking out the striker with a fine pass.

The home team came close to adding to their tally in the closing minutes when a superb cross from Steven Umphray resulted in Davidson heading wide with the goal at his mercy and a blistering free kick from Laurence Pearson was brilliantly tipped over the bar by Dinwoodie.

Spurs failed to repeat the level of performance reached in previous encounters between the sides and were perhaps still savouring last week’s Madrid Cup success. Scalloway deserved to progress thanks to an excellent second half in which every player contributed with Umphray just edging his team mates as man of the match.

Whalsay 3, Whitedale 0

The teams served up an entertaining game for the Whalsay crowd, Whitedale threatening first with Duncan Anderson shooting into the side netting from an angle after five minutes.
Whalsay were almost gifted a goal when a poor clearance fell to the feet of James Shearer but keeper Martin Young was alert and backpedalled to clutch the goalbound effort to keep the score at 0-0.

After 25 minutes it was Whalsay who took the lead. A foul resulted in a free kick 25 yards from goal on the left and Keith Pearson curled the ball around the wall and in off the post.

Whalsay were now gaining the upper hand and enjoying the bulk of the possession but were unable to add to their tally, Alistair Johnson coming closest shooting over from the edge of the box.

Whitedale almost produced an equaliser just before half time when Donald Willmore swung in a peach of a ball that Paul Molloy ran on to but his effort was charged down by the Whalsay keeper. Despite the continued efforts of Molloy he managed to eventually gather the ball under pressure when a goal seemed the more likely outcome.

The second half saw Whitedale having to contend with the glaring sun and this was to contribute to the second Whalsay goal. On the hour mark a free kick 45 yards out on the left was swung in high by Ian Simpson and the ball evaded everyone and ended up nestling in the far corner of the goal.

With Whalsay now enjoying the bulk of the play it was no surprise when with 20 minutes to go they scored a third. This time good work by Brian Irvine ended with Geordie Irvine running on to a through ball and he showed good composure to evade the attentions of his marker to fire past Young.

Allister Johnson almost added a fourth moments later when his shot from 30 yards rattled the crossbar. Whitedale applied some late pressure but despite their best efforts the score remained at 3-0 and Whalsay progress to the final where they will meet Scalloway.

G&S Flooring Premier League

Spurs 10, Scalloway 0

Spurs were out for revenge for their semi-final defeat at Fraser Park on Friday and Scalloway were trying to keep the fine run of form they have been in going.

Spurs started the better and did not take long to open the scoring, fine work by Connell Gresham leaving Danny Finnie with an easy tap-in for his first of the game.

Scott Morrison added the second soon after when he outstripped the Scalloway rearguard to finish well. Morrison added his second three minutes later when he finished from a tight angle.

Spurs were now in cruise control and Finnie passed the ball into an empty net with the Scalloway defence posted AWOL to make it four-nil.

With 20 minutes gone Spurs added the fifth with the best goal of the game. Sam Ward picked the ball up wide left and shrugged off three challenges to place an un-toppable shot in at the keeper’s right-hand post. Morrison then turned villain when he missed a penalty after Gresham was upended in the box – he hit it well enough only to see it crash off the post.

With 10 minutes left in the half the hardworking Gresham got his reward with a neat finish to make it six. The Scalloway heads were down by now and Finnie completed his hat trick with a superb header from a Morrison corner. Seven at the break was not an unfair reflection of the game.

The second half started at a slower pace with Scalloway trying to get something from the game and Spurs knowing the tie was all but over.

It took Spurs another 15 minutes to add to the lead, and for Scalloway’s Magnus Henry it came in a rather unfortunate manner as he rifled the ball past his own goalkeeper via the right-hand post.

Sam Goudie added the ninth when he ghosted past two defenders to finish past the deflated-looking keeper, and it became double figures when substitute Stuart Hall finished a good move involving several players.

Best on the night for Spurs were Finnie, Morrison and Josie Kay while for Scalloway Davidson and Henderson deserved a mention.

The game was well refereed by Doug Ross, making his first appearance in Shetland football during a visit in his capacity as parliamentary secretary to Tory MSP Mary Scanlon.

Ness United 0, Celtic 4

Celtic travelled to Boddam looking to avenge their defeat in the league earlier in the season and the difference between the teams was the town outfit’s ability to finish their chances in a first half that saw Jordan Webb score a hat trick.

Ness were not without opportunities themselves with Barry Martin, Ian Bray and Alexander White all with chances to get their team back into the game during that first period.

The second half started much the same as the first but Ness started to get more into the game with the introduction of new signing Michael Williamson whose movement opened up a new front to the Ness attack.

Celtic continued to threaten the Ness goal though with substitute Justin Watson hitting the post with a header.

Ness came close again through Martin and Bray but were still unable to find the net and Celtic youngster James Leask got Celtic’s fourth of the night which effectively killed off the home side’s efforts to get back into the game.

Best for Celtic were John Simpson and Joe Leask while Martin and John Rosie showed up well for the home side.

Delting 6, Thistle 2

No report was received. Scorers for Delting were Fraser Hall, Leighton Flaws and Ross Jamieson (4). Thistle’s goals came from Craig Gerty and Neil Laurenson.


Add Your Comment

Add Your Comment

Please note, it is the policy of The Shetland Times to publish comments and letters from named individuals only. Both forename and surname are required.

Comments are moderated. Contributors must observe normal standards of decency and tolerance for the opinions of others.

The views expressed are those of contributors and not of The Shetland Times.

The Shetland Times reserves the right to decline or remove any contribution without notice or stating reason.

Comments are limited to 200 words but please email longer articles or letters to for consideration and include a daytime telephone number and your address. If emailing information in confidence please put "Not for publication" in both the subject line and at the top of the main message.

200 words left

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.


Get Latest News in Your Inbox

Join the The Shetland Times mailing list to get one daily email update at midday on what's happening in Shetland.