Teenager accused of breaking into house locked up after second court appearance in two days

A teenager accused of breaking into a house was locked up today after making his second court appearance in two days.

James Maloney, 18, of Burgadale, Brae, was remanded in custody for breaching the terms of a curfew order imposed at Lerwick Sheriff Court on Monday.

Maloney had denied entering a house in Lerwick’s Grostane while on bail on Saturday night when he first came before Honorary Sheriff Roger MacDonald. Bail was opposed because of his record.

But Honorary Sheriff MacDonald granted Maloney his freedom on condition that he stay indoors between 7pm and 7am after hearing he was due to take part in a three week outward bound course run by Venture Trust near Inverness.

Maloney was subsequently picked up by police in Lerwick’s North Road shortly after 11pm last night.

Defence agent Linda Knarston said Maloney had come to Lerwick to try to find work, but had missed the 5.10pm bus to Brae. Attempts to secure a lift in time for his curfew proved unsuccessful.

She said the breach was due to his “carelessness”, and added Maloney was willing to wear a tag if his bail was allowed to continue.

However procurator fiscal Duncan MacKenzie said allowing Maloney his freedom would “make a mockery of the whole system”.

“I can’t envisage a case where a remand is more required,” he said. “My friend has indicated he is willing to be tagged. That’s a direct equivalent of a curfew which he has already breached.”

Miss Knarston said her client had not breached a bail order before. She said she could not say whether he would still be welcome on the Venture Trust course.

Honorary Sheriff MacDonald said: “I’m genuinely saddened and disappointed you appear in this court for the second time this week. You were given a bail order on Monday with conditions. That was given primarily for you to attend the Venture Trust course off the island. For whatever reason you’ve chosen to breach that bail order.”

Remanding Maloney in custody, he deferred sentence until 28th July.

Meanwhile a report is being sent to the reporter to the Children’s Panel after a 14-year-old was arrested in connection with the alleged Grostane break-in.


Get Latest News in Your Inbox

Join the The Shetland Times mailing list to get one daily email update at midday on what's happening in Shetland.