Whitedale retain County Shield after extra-time goal deluge

Click on image to enlarge.

Whitedale won the final senior football trophy of the season, scoring an amazing four goals in extra time in a final against Spurs which had finished 2-2 after 90 minutes. Meanwhile Delting moved to second in the G&S Flooring Premier League after beating Ness United, although Whitedale could pip them for the runners-up spot if they can win in Whalsay on Friday night.

County Shield (final)

Whitedale 6, Spurs 2
(after extra time, 2-2 at full time)

The teams took to the field in glorious sunshine and got down to business right from the whistle. Holders Whitedale went one up inside the first five minutes as Brian Duncan challenged a high ball played in on top of Spurs keeper Craig Dinwoodie. As the pair went for the ball Duncan headed the ball past Dinwoodie’s hands with the Spurs management and players appealing in vain for a foul on Dinwoodie as it had looked like the Whitedale defender had led with his elbow while going for the ball.

The goal stood and after the dust had settled the game continued. Spurs got back into the game straight away though and had the Whitedale back four under the cosh for the next 20 minutes. Whitedale did threaten through Jamie Wilson on a few occasions with the front man linking well with Duncan Anderson and Alan Johnston.

It was Spurs who capitalised on their pressure first, getting the equaliser their pressure deserved. After good work from James Johnston and Shane Jamieson in the middle of the park the ball was played right to Sam Ward who rifled a shot across the face of the Whitedale goal from outside the box and into the net at the far post.

Spurs continued to keep the pressure on Whitedale with Jamieson shooting just over the bar and Scott Morrison linking well with Johnston down the left wing with the latter’s shot hitting the side netting.

The second half started with Spurs having much of the possession and Whitedale looking to play Wilson in behind the Spurs back four with a quick ball.

Johnston played the ball out wide to Ward and the Spurs winger played a delightful ball into the box along the face of the six-ard box which was screaming out to be sent goalward. But much to the player and his management’s frustration his team mates were nowhere near it as they stood back and admired it.

Spurs had another chance through Johnston as the midfielder broke through the midfield and shot from outside the box, only to see his shot lift over the bar.

Spurs were to rue these missed chances as Whitedale started to come into the game as the half wore on. Martin Clark and Wilson combined well to cross the ball into the box and substitute Ali Scott, who had replaced Anderson earlier, linked well with Paul Molloy and Wilson.

The action was switching from end to end although Spurs looked the more likely to score as Ward had a good shot on the turn saved. The winger was then caught napping by Wilson as the striker stole the ball from him and drove goalwards to finish past Dinwoodie to put the West Siders in front.

Spurs equalised with a crisp passing move which saw substitutes Ali Graham and Alan Page linking well. Page came short looking for the ball from his midfield and took it in well playing a slick pass wide to the right for Graham to play back into the box for the Spurs front man to shoot past Martin Young in the Whitedal goal.

The match finished 2-2 at full-time and the game proceeded to extra time and it was Whitedale who were in the ascendancy. They went ahead after Paul Molloy got his second, working across the face of the Spurs box and firing the ball into the net.

Spurs came back right away but were unable to find a way past Duncan Fraser and Young.

The second period of extra time saw Whitedale move further clear of Spurs as the town side were caught out on the break as they chased the equaliser. The ball was won quickly in the middle of the park and played through to youngster Lorne MacNiven who showed the Spurs defence a clean pair of heels to race goalwards and finish past Dinwoodie.

Whitedale were then awarded a penalty as David Mann tripped MacNiven after struggling to cope with the Whitedale front man’s pace. Alan Johnston stepped up to convert the penalty to make it 5-2.

With only minutes to go Scott got the tangerines’ sixth when the ball was played off the post and Dinwoodie was only able to get to the ball once it had crossed the line.

Whitedale retained the County Shield in a game where in large spells they were under the cosh from their town rivals, but they weathered the storm to turn the tables in extra time.

The use of their young substitutes MacNiven and Scott were an inspired decision by manager Ivor Morrison as the two played a big part in the latter stages.

Best for Whitedale were Duncan Fraser and Jamie Wilson, while for Spurs James Johnston and Sam Ward stood out.

G & S Flooring Premier League

Delting 2, Ness United 2

Delting went into Friday’s game at Brae  knowing that they could end their season on a high after a good recent run in the league. Ness however, were looking for three points to avoid ending the season, rather surprisingly, in bottom spot.

The early encounters were pretty even with little chances at either end. However, the deadlock was broken midway through the half when Craig Leslie powered in a good header at the back post to give Ness the lead.

Delting, who were missing a few regulars through injury, added to their woes when new signing Ian Greenhill had to come off with a back injury. However, with the addition of Callum Clark they came more into the game and managed to mount several attacks, forcing a series of corners. It was from one of these that Ross Jamieson scooped the ball in under the bar, giving Erik Peterson no chance.

Peterson was called into action shortly after as Delting tried to get in front before the break. He produced an acrobatic save from Merv Jamieson’s scissors-kick to keep the scores level at half time.

Willed on by their vocal management team, Ness pushed hard to get in front in the second period. In contrast, Delting looked strangely sluggish and unable to get any fluency to their play. It was no real surprise then when Ness scored their second through Declan Anderson, incidentally his first goal in senior football.

There then followed a moment of controversy, as Ness appeared to score ta third through Craig Leslie.  However, referee Ivan Sinclair had spotted an infringement on a Delting player and to the relief of the watching home supporters, disallowed the goal.

As is often the case, the decision gave Delting a lift and, with Merv Jamieson pushing further forward in search of the equaliser, they mounted attack after attack. With the referee checking his watch for full time, Delting were awarded a free kick on the edge of the Ness 18-yard box. Leighton Flaws stepped up and curled a beautiful shot into the top left-hand corner to secure a point for the home side.

Ness were understandably disappointed at the final whistle and can only wonder why they are bottom of the table after a performance like this. Delting however, were pleased to have taken a point and have given themselves a chance of ending the season in second place.


Add Your Comment

Add Your Comment

Please note, it is the policy of The Shetland Times to publish comments and letters from named individuals only. Both forename and surname are required.

Comments are moderated. Contributors must observe normal standards of decency and tolerance for the opinions of others.

The views expressed are those of contributors and not of The Shetland Times.

The Shetland Times reserves the right to decline or remove any contribution without notice or stating reason.

Comments are limited to 200 words but please email longer articles or letters to editorial@shetlandtimes.co.uk for consideration and include a daytime telephone number and your address. If emailing information in confidence please put "Not for publication" in both the subject line and at the top of the main message.

200 words left

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.


Get Latest News in Your Inbox

Join the The Shetland Times mailing list to get one daily email update at midday on what's happening in Shetland.