Man who stole charity box kept behind bars

The “contemptible” crime of stealing a charity box resulted in a man being remanded in custody at Lerwick Sheriff Court today.

Wesley Liam Bailey, 30, of no fixed abode, appeared from custody and pleaded guilty to stealing the poppy collection box from Sound Service Station on Monday. The offence was committed while he was on bail.

Procurator fiscal Duncan MacKenzie said that Bailey had distracted a member of staff and taken the box, which, given the close proximity to Remembrance Day, could have contained between £100 and £150. The fiscal said: “It is difficult to imagine a more contemptible theft at this time of year.”

Defence solicitor Chris Dowle said that Bailey had appreciated that and felt shame and remorse. He had pleaded guilty at the first opportunity, saying he had been on drugs at the time. He had told police he had thrown the box in the sea: “He didn’t profit from his crime.”

Bailey, who is on job-seeker’s allowance but does casual work on freezer boats, now wants to make restitution, Mr Dowle said.

Opposing the prospect of Bailey being released on bail, Mr MacKenzie said there was no confirmation the householder at an address in Lerwick’s Norgaet would accept Bailey, who is known to be itinerant. He also said that being on bail had proved no disincentive to committing crime and no protection for the public.

Honorary sheriff Eric Peterson called for reports and remanded Bailey in custody until his next court appearance on 1st December.

Meanwhile a man who denied assault was remanded in custody when he appeared in court.

Iain Tulloch, 40, of Hoofields, Lerwick, pleaded not guilty to assaulting Wayne Bailey at Hoofields on Tuesday by repeatedly striking him on the head with a pool cue or similar instrument to his injury.

Procurator fiscal Duncan MacKenzie said that Tulloch had a drug problem and was a “persistent offender”, even at times when he was on bail.

Defence solicitor Chris Dowle said Tulloch’s last breach of bail had been in 2007, and he was now half-way through a drugs treatment programme and was “clean” for the first time for a long time. Mr Dowle asked for bail for his client, who said his actions had been in self-defence. However Mr Dowle conceded that the fact that Tulloch was on a deferred sentence for an offence in March was “unhelpful”.

Honorary sheriff Eric Peterson refused bail and remanded Tulloch in custody pending his next court appearance on 15th December.


Get Latest News in Your Inbox

Join the The Shetland Times mailing list to get one daily email update at midday on what's happening in Shetland.