A 40-year-old man has been arrested following a fire at Da Vadill, Lerwick, on New Year’s Eve.
Firefighters were called to a first floor flat at the building opposite Grantfield Garage at around 11.15pm. Two fire appliances from Lerwick went to the scene, and firefighters extinguished the blaze using one hose reel jet and four sets of breathing apparatus, while one main jet covered the outside of the building. The fire was out just before midnight.
The flat’s bedroom was 95 per cent fire damaged, with 100 per cent smoke damage affecting the remainder of the flat.
The 40-year-old man has been charged with fire raising and remains in police custody.
There was another fire on Lerwick on Sunday, when firefighters were called to a house in Goodlad Crescent at around 2pm. Two fire appliances from Lerwick attended the scene.
The fire, which was quickly extinguished, left the bathroom with 100 per cent fire and smoke damage. There was also one square metre of fire damage to the top landing and the rest of the upstairs suffered smoke damage. Police was there were no suspicious circumstances.