MSP and MP should state views on windfarm

Up to date figures on responses to the energy consents and deployment unit on the proposed Viking Energy windfarm show 2,736 objecting, 1,114 supporting, giving 71 per cent opposition. Also significant is that 85 per cent of respondents gave Shetland addresses. It would also be a reasonable assumption that a fair proportion of the remaining 15 per cent are Shetlanders (native or adopted) living or studying outwith the islands.

Despite this, and the fact that Viking Energy project co-ordinator Allan Wishart stated at the Radio Shetland windfarm debate that the ECDU responses would be the real measure of public opinion, he continues to deny this majority opposition and continues to refer to the inconclusive poll carried out by The Shetland Times. His statements are contradictory and an insult to the wishes of the Shetland public.

Given this level of unquestionable opposition, it is now also high time our MSP Tavish Scott and MP Alistair Carmichael stated their position on the development; they owe this to their Shetland constituents.  I am therefore challenging them here and now, “are you for or against the Viking Energy wind farm”?

I believe they have supported the project from its inception and have shown their support politically behind closed doors. I believe they should state their respective positions categorically and without prevarication. I do not believe they are undecided on the matter!

The rally to “Save Shetland’s Environment – Stop Viking Energy” on Saturday 19th February in Lerwick would provide the ideal platform to let their constituents know where they stand.

Billy Fox
Sustainable Shetland.


Add Your Comment

Add Your Comment

Please note, it is the policy of The Shetland Times to publish comments and letters from named individuals only. Both forename and surname are required.

Comments are moderated. Contributors must observe normal standards of decency and tolerance for the opinions of others.

The views expressed are those of contributors and not of The Shetland Times.

The Shetland Times reserves the right to decline or remove any contribution without notice or stating reason.

Comments are limited to 200 words but please email longer articles or letters to for consideration and include a daytime telephone number and your address. If emailing information in confidence please put "Not for publication" in both the subject line and at the top of the main message.

200 words left

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.


Get Latest News in Your Inbox

Join the The Shetland Times mailing list to get one daily email update at midday on what's happening in Shetland.