Heroin dealers spared prison after turning their lives around

Two heroin suppliers avoided jail today after Lerwick Sheriff Court heard they had turned their lives around since being caught. Carl Dew, 33, originally from Coventry, was placed on probation while Kirsti Moncrieff, 29, had sentence deferred. Both live at West Baila, Lerwick.

Sheriff Graeme Napier said Moncrieff was an example for Shetland of the devastating effects of heroin. She came from a good family and had pursued a good career for herself before becoming addicted through an ex-boyfriend. Her habit had led to her squandering over £20,000 in savings and she ended up facing a jail sentence of up to 14 years.

The couple had previously admitted supplying heroin worth over £1,300 at a house in Mossbank last July. Moncrieff’s role was limited to holding £505 for Dew in her handbag. He had £245 in his wallet.

The heroin was sent up in the post to Dew by drug trade friends of his in the West Midlands. The profits were intended to fund the couple’s addiction.

Moncrieff’s defence agent Tommy Allan said since being caught she had done everything possible to turn her life around. She had started re-establishing bonds with her family, was being offered a job and was trying to win back acceptance in the community.

Sheriff Napier criticised those in Shetland who were dismissive of people like her who sought to change their lives for the better after falling from grace.

He deferred her sentence until 5th July to hear about her progress with her job and to ensure she continues providing drug-free samples.

For Dew, defence agent Gregor Kelly said the scourge of heroin had affected his client for 16 years. He has previous convictions for assault, growing cannabis and possessing heroin.

His heroin dealing had been an arrangement between five friends in their 20s who helped each other out in sourcing supplies.

He said Dew had gone seeking help from drugs workers shortly before he was busted. He had provided clean samples in drug tests for five months and was engaging in sports and telling others about the horrors of heroin addiction.

He was sentenced to probation for two years, ordered to carry out 100 hours of voluntary work and restricted to staying in his house from 8pm to 6am for three months.

Sheriff Napier said it was the third time in recent months he had encountered people in the dock involved in the “despairing trade” of heroin who were taking steps to turn their lives around.


Get Latest News in Your Inbox

Join the The Shetland Times mailing list to get one daily email update at midday on what's happening in Shetland.