Cup and league double for indoor hockey specialists Whalsay

Click on image to enlarge.

Whalsay won indoor hockey’s George Robertson Cup on Saturday, defeating New Revolution on penalties after a 4-4 draw in the final of the knockout competition. That completed a league and cup double as earlier in the evening Whalsay had beaten Hurricanes in the final league match.

George Robertson Cup Final

Whalsay 4, New Rev 4
(Whalsay won 3-0 on penalties)

On Grand National Saturday both stables took to the arena missing several key players but this final was to prove highly entertaining and only a penalty shoot-out would separate the teams.

New Rev were quickly out of the blocks and Stacey Laurenson scored within 30 seconds with a great reverse stick drive.

Whalsay settled and began to make forages into the New Rev half and it wasn’t long before they were back in the game. Ian “Twinklestick” Simpson picked the ball up at the halfway line before weaving his way past three defenders and calmly slotting the ball beneath the onrushing keeper.

New Rev responded with Bryan Irvine and Laurenson looking dangerous on the attack. George Abernethy in the Whalsay goal stood strong, however, and produced a series of fine saves to keep the game on even terms.

Just before half time Whalsay managed to gain the initiative when Simpson found himself in space at the back post to drill home a Zoe Irvine cross.

The first half ended with the islanders 2-1 ahead as tempers began to flare.

The second half started at an alarming pace and New Rev were quickly on the ascendancy, pinning Whalsay back in their own half. The pressure soon paid off as Irvine manufactured a low drive which bobbled erratically over the foot of Abernethy into the net.

New Rev, with new-found confidence, began to dominate proceedings at this point and scored a further two goals through Irvine and Laurenson.

At this point the scribes had begun to etch New Rev’s name on to the trophy. Whalsay had other ideas though and launched a comeback with five minutes to go. Simpson completed his hat trick following good work by Josie Jamieson driving from the back and Victoria Duthie grabbed a late equaliser to send the game to penalty flicks.

Both teams lined up nervously at the halfway line and Maggie Kay was first to step forward. Her flick was well saved by Sarah Couper in the New Rev goal.

Stacey Laurenson, Kristan Robertson and Ava Sim all had their flicks saved by Abernethy who was in fine form.

Whalsay scored all three of their remaining flicks through Zoe Irvine, Jamieson and Duthie to take the cup.

The match was played out in good spirit and was well marshalled by Simon Skinner and Jill Hibbert.

Eric Brown Shield

Whalsay 4, Hurricanes 2

The final game of the season would decide the winners of the league and Hurricanes started by applying pressure into Whalsay’s half. Jillian Copland and Robert Turnbull linked well up the right hand side where Copland sealed the deal to put them in the lead.

George Abernethy had exchanged his goalie kit for a stick for the final game. He received a loose ball, dribbled up the court and took on the goalie to make it 1-1 at half time.

Whalsay were fired up for the second half and Maggie Irvine put the ball past the Hurricanes keeper Alan Drummond in true style. Despite great defensive work from Kerri Redfern and Rhiannon Inkster, Whalsay increased their lead when Victoria Duthie hit the back of the goals after receiving a cross from Abernethy.

Just as Whalsay appeared to settle, fast play up the court by Hurricanes saw Bradley MacKenzie slot home a second goal. Hurricanes fought well but were stumped by Whalsay keeper Ian Manson with his outstanding saves.

Good movement by Zoe Irvine saw her receive a hit out from Whalsay. She made use of this and took a shot, which hit Hurricanes feet on its travels. The short corner was received by Josie Jamieson and she flicked the ball into the back of the net to make the final score 4-2 to Whalsay.

Players of the match were Zoe Irvine for Whalsay and Alan Drummond for Hurricanes.

Crusaders v Reckless

Crusaders could not field a team so Reckless got the points.


Add Your Comment

Add Your Comment

Please note, it is the policy of The Shetland Times to publish comments and letters from named individuals only. Both forename and surname are required.

Comments are moderated. Contributors must observe normal standards of decency and tolerance for the opinions of others.

The views expressed are those of contributors and not of The Shetland Times.

The Shetland Times reserves the right to decline or remove any contribution without notice or stating reason.

Comments are limited to 200 words but please email longer articles or letters to for consideration and include a daytime telephone number and your address. If emailing information in confidence please put "Not for publication" in both the subject line and at the top of the main message.

200 words left

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.


Get Latest News in Your Inbox

Join the The Shetland Times mailing list to get one daily email update at midday on what's happening in Shetland.