Man who wielded knife facing prison for threatening to rape and kill partner

A man who brandished a knife as he threatened to rape and kill his partner before preventing her from making a 999 emergency call was warned he could face prison when he appeared at Lerwick Sheriff Court today.

Daniel Moore, 41, of Hoofields, assaulted his victim at their house in Grostane. He held the point of the knife against her and drew it down the length of her body, injuring her.

The court heard Moore attacked the woman as she prepared an evening meal – he had insisted he wanted to order a take-away instead.

Moore called her “a bitch” before finding a six-inch bladed knife, which he “brandished” at her, pointing it at her to emphasise what he was saying.

Procurator fiscal Duncan MacKenzie said the woman was too frightened to leave the house, for fear of what Moore would do to her if she tried to reach the door.

“She stayed in the house for three-and-a-half hours. The accused constantly maintained possession of the knife,” said Mr MacKenzie.

“He repeatedly told her he wanted to have sex with her,” he added.

After he drew the knife down her body the victim pushed Moore away. He said he would kill her at 11 in the evening.

When she eventually did try to leave the house he stood in front of her. She tried to dial 999 to summon the police, but he stopped her from doing that as well.

Moore then apologised and asked her not to call the police. But she picked up her car keys and fled, heading to the police station “extremely distressed”.

“This was clearly an upsetting incident for the complainer and it doesn’t overstate it to say she was terrified throughout,” said Mr MacKenzie.

The night before the couple had been out celebrating a friend’s birthday at a party.

During the gathering Moore was aggressive towards any man who spoke to his partner.

Having been detained by police Moore claimed he was suffering from post traumatic stress disorder after fighting in war zones as part of the parachute regiment – a claim the Crown did not find credible.

Defence agent Tommy Allan said Moore was suffering from bi-polar disorder, having been diagnosed in 2005.

He said Moore had been on medication, although he was not taking it as he should have done.

Moore had co-operated with Mr Allan throughout the case. Mr Allan said it had been clear “from the outset” that a plea would be tendered.

Sheriff Graeme Napier deferred sentence until 6th July, calling for psychiatric and social enquiry reports.

“But it’s a very serious offence,” he warned Moore, “one for which I would be justified in imposing a significant custodial sentence.”


Get Latest News in Your Inbox

Join the The Shetland Times mailing list to get one daily email update at midday on what's happening in Shetland.