Man taken to hospital after suspected gas leak in Mossbank

A man has been taken to hospital after a suspected gas leak at a house in Mossbank.

Police said he was discovered in the house and will be subjected to a medical assessment at the Gilbert Bain.

The property has now been made safe and the cordon removed. The Welcome Inn and several houses in the immediate vicinity had been evacuated. Workers have been allowed back to the inn and residents to their homes.

Police said a report would be submitted to the Procurator Fiscal.

“Emergency services personnel and members of the public are thanked for their co-operation and assistance,” said a spokesman.




As a precaution the Welcome Inn and “three or four” houses in the immediate vicinity have been evacuated, according to a police spokeswoman.

The alarm was raised by a member of the public at around 10am and an area of around 100 metres has been cordoned off. The incident is on-going.


Add Your Comment

Add Your Comment

Please note, it is the policy of The Shetland Times to publish comments and letters from named individuals only. Both forename and surname are required.

Comments are moderated. Contributors must observe normal standards of decency and tolerance for the opinions of others.

The views expressed are those of contributors and not of The Shetland Times.

The Shetland Times reserves the right to decline or remove any contribution without notice or stating reason.

Comments are limited to 200 words but please email longer articles or letters to for consideration and include a daytime telephone number and your address. If emailing information in confidence please put "Not for publication" in both the subject line and at the top of the main message.

200 words left

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.


Get Latest News in Your Inbox

Join the The Shetland Times mailing list to get one daily email update at midday on what's happening in Shetland.