Drug supplier warned he faces jail despite illness

A Lerwick man who admitted supplying various types of drugs was warned he faced prison when he appeared at the town’s sheriff court today.

Innes Irvine, 46, a prisoner in Aberdeen, appeared from custody and pleaded guilty to supplying amphetamine between 23rd February and 25th June from Lerwick’s Co-op car park and an address in Twageos Road. He also pleaded guilty to supplying cocaine from Twageos Road between 29th February and 25th June, and of possessing methylphenyl-2 aminopropane at Twageos Road between the same dates.

Jointly accused with him in supplying amphetamine was Christopher Irvine, 25, of Cheyne Cresent. However his plea of not guilty was accepted and he freed from the court.

Innes Irvine also pleaded guilty to obstructing police in the exercise of their duty in Gilbertson Road on 22nd February by attempting to drive away in his car and attempting to run away.

His pleas of not guilty to supplying cannabis resin between 22nd February and 25th June while on bail, of having it in his possession at Twageos Road between 29th February and 25th June and of shouting, swearing and making threats at Lerwick Police Station on 22nd February were accepted.

Sheriff Philip Mann said Irvine, who had not been in prison before, faced “very serious charges” and custody was very much on the cards. He called for reports, and his defence agent Lee Qumsieh asked for medical reports to be incorporated in these, as Irvine had medical issues that would be “relevant” to his sentence.

The court heard that Irvine had polycystic kidney disease which became so serious four years ago that he had both kidneys removed. Now that he is on remand he has dialysis three times a week in Aberdeen Royal Infirmary. However prison food might not suit Irvine and the dietician on ARI’s Ward 23 has become concerned about his potassium levels. Although the prison authorities are doing what they can, there would be concern for Irvine’s long-term health if he was given a lengthy sentence.

In addition Irvine had a heart attack eight years ago which resulted in a triple by-pass, and last year had a head injury that rendered him unconscious for six weeks. He also had a stroke at this time and had to learn to walk and talk again.

The sheriff asked social workers to get reports from the dietician, but remanded Irvine in custody and told him the likelihood was an extended prison sentence, depending on all the reports. The issue of seized money of £10,585 will be dealt with at the time of sentencing. The case was adjourned until 17th October.


Get Latest News in Your Inbox

Join the The Shetland Times mailing list to get one daily email update at midday on what's happening in Shetland.