Brothers taken to hospital after Sandwick fire

Click on image to enlarge

Two brothers were taken to hospital after a fire gutted their house in Sandwick this afternoon.

Geordie and Jim Halcrow from Noness, aged around 70 and 65 respectively, had been overcome by smoke inhalation.

Fire engines from both Sandwick and Lerwick attended the scene at about 2pm, along with an ambulance and police. The men were removed from the house and taken to the Gilbert Bain Hospital in Lerwick. Their condition was later described as stable and they were being kept in overnight for observation.

A passer-by said the fire had been dampened down by around 4pm but the stone-built house was obviously extensively damaged. “It looks like a bulldozer job,” he added.

A spokeswoman for the fire service in Inverness said she was unable to comment on the situation as the incident was still ongoing.


Add Your Comment
  • Joe johnson

    • October 26th, 2012 21:37

    Hope the brothers are ok. Praying for them now


Add Your Comment

Please note, it is the policy of The Shetland Times to publish comments and letters from named individuals only. Both forename and surname are required.

Comments are moderated. Contributors must observe normal standards of decency and tolerance for the opinions of others.

The views expressed are those of contributors and not of The Shetland Times.

The Shetland Times reserves the right to decline or remove any contribution without notice or stating reason.

Comments are limited to 200 words but please email longer articles or letters to for consideration and include a daytime telephone number and your address. If emailing information in confidence please put "Not for publication" in both the subject line and at the top of the main message.

200 words left

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.


Get Latest News in Your Inbox

Join the The Shetland Times mailing list to get one daily email update at midday on what's happening in Shetland.