Visitors to Fair Isle this year will have the opportunity to climb to the top of the island’s South Lighthouse for the first time, thanks to a new community group set up to help provide access to the building.
The Fair Isle Lighthouse Society was formed by islanders keen to make the most out of the landmark. Tourists have often expressed great interest in climbing the 73 foot tower but problems with insurance have meant that it has never officially been possible before.
Now, islanders and visitors alike will be able to enjoy the fantastic views from the light room and balcony.
The lighthouse, designed by David and Charles Stevenson, was first opened in 1892 and is one of two on the isle. It has a dramatic history, having been attacked twice during the Second World War, with four fatalities.
Fair Isle South was also the last lighthouse in Scotland to be automated. The keepers left for the final time on 31st March 1998.
Fair Isle Lighthouse Society (FILS) is required to purchase public liability insurance in order to open the building to visitors, but the group has not received any public funding for the venture. They are currently seeking donations towards the project from members of the public.
FILS are also looking for any historical items or stories connected to the lighthouse that could be used as part of a display in the building.
You can find out more about the project at fair-isle.blogspot.co.uk, contact email@example.com or phone (01595) 760349.