Interim ban for drink driver

A man has pleaded guilty to driving while over the limit, after taking workmates home from a Christmas party.

Moreno Dalfonso, of Torogay Street, Glasgow, was stopped by police at about 2am on December 15th on Holmsgarth Road in Lerwick.

The 39-year-old had 44 microgrammes of alcohol in 100 milliletres of breath. This exceeded the “prescribed limit” of 35 microgrammes in 100 milliletres.

Procurator fiscal Duncan Mackenzie said Dalfonso had co-operated with police, but it had taken some time for him to appear in court and he had appeared “under compulsion”.

Defence agent Tommy Allan said Dalfonso “felt responsible” for getting the men home so they could get to work the next day.  It was a “serious misjudgement”, said Mr Allan, and added Dalfonso had lost his job as a result.

He went on to explain that Dalfonso’s life had been in “a state of disarray”. Dalfonso’s relationship then broke up,  said Mr Allan and he said had suffered a mental breakdown. He also said he suffered with anxiety and had problems with nerve damage following an operation on his neck and was on sick pay.

His anxiety meant the prospect of travelling had also made it difficult for his appearance, said Mr Allan, and Dalfonso had told the defence agent he had not had a drink since December.

Sentence was deferred until 2nd October by Sheriff Philip Mann. This was due to the absence of Dalfonso’s driving licence.

“This is not a great excess over the statutory limit,” said Sheriff Mann, but he said Dalfonso did not have a good record. Dalfonso was given an interim disqualification from driving.

Meanwhile a Lerwick teenager has been refused bail after he denied assaulting his partner and behaving in a threatening or abusive manner on Saturday.

Andrew Murray, 18, of Sandveien, is accused of assaulting his partner by grabbing her by the hair, pulling her to the ground and repeatedly punching and kicking her on the head at an address in Sandveien.

He is also accused of behaving in a manner likely to cause fear or alarm, by shouting, swearing and repeatedly banging on doors and windows at the same Sandveien address.

“Bail is always a difficult thing to decide upon when dealing with someone as young as yourself,” said Sheriff Mann.
However, he decided Murray should remanded in custody until trial on 1st October.


Get Latest News in Your Inbox

Join the The Shetland Times mailing list to get one daily email update at midday on what's happening in Shetland.