Man taken to hospital after house fire

A man has been taken to hospital following a house fire in the Roadside area of Hamnavoe in Burra.

The blaze started in the bathroom of the single storey home and fire crews were called at about 1.15pm. The bathroom is badly damaged and the rest of the house suffered extensive smoke damage.

Four appliances from Lerwick, Scalloway and Sandwick were called into action and four fire fighters wearing breathing apparatus entered the home. Aa thermal image camera was used while searching the property.

The fire was extinguished with a hose reel.



Add Your Comment

Add Your Comment

Please note, it is the policy of The Shetland Times to publish comments and letters from named individuals only. Both forename and surname are required.

Comments are moderated. Contributors must observe normal standards of decency and tolerance for the opinions of others.

The views expressed are those of contributors and not of The Shetland Times.

The Shetland Times reserves the right to decline or remove any contribution without notice or stating reason.

Comments are limited to 200 words but please email longer articles or letters to for consideration and include a daytime telephone number and your address. If emailing information in confidence please put "Not for publication" in both the subject line and at the top of the main message.

200 words left

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.


Get Latest News in Your Inbox

Join the The Shetland Times mailing list to get one daily email update at midday on what's happening in Shetland.