Clinical Spurs progress to Manson Cup final

Spurs progressed to the Manson Cup final with a 5-1 defeat of Delting in Brae.

After half an hour of the match, however, nobody could have predicted that scoreline. Delting came out flying and dominated that spell. Two tame Dominic Mann headers aside, they had all of the play and didn’t let Spurs put a move together.

Captain Leighton Flaws got Shetland's solitary goal from the penalty spot after being brought down.
Leighton Flaws’ free kick gave Delting a deserved lead.

Danny Peterson had already seen a shot cleared off the line and one bounce back off the crossbar when Jamie Sim was fouled by Joe Kay just outside the area. Leighton Flaws stepped up and buried the free kick for 1-0.

Delting didn’t let up, with Gary Sutherland in particular giving the Spurs’ defence a torrid time. Along with his fellow forwards, they pressed with relentless energy forcing numerous mistakes.

Sutherland earned himself several chances but couldn’t fire past Grant Wood. Ross MacDougall and Craig Jarvie also came close before Spurs grabbed an equaliser against the run of play. A low corner evaded everyone but Mann, who tapped in on the line.

The goal took the wind out of the home team’s sails and the half petered out.

Sutherland had an effort saved at the opening of the second half, but Delting were to pay the price for not taking advantage of their brilliant early spell.

After three minutes, Mann flicked on to Paul Molloy. From outside the box, he spotted Iain Devonald out of position in the Delting goal, and rolled it in to give Spurs the lead.

Click on image to enlarge
Paul Molloy was one of the best performers for Spurs.

After a quiet spell, Molloy once again proved decisive for Spurs, breaking into the box, passing the defence and curling in for 1-3.

Delting tried to get back into the game, Sutherland having shots blocked and Sim put a diving header wide. Again, they couldn’t make it count and Spurs made them pay. Sam Ward had a shot saved when one-on-one, the ball came wide to Mann whose cross Ward made no mistake from to make it 1-4.

While Delting didn’t stop pushing, they had used up most of their energy, and Spurs were looking comfortable. Tony Hopkin scored the goal of the game, crashing a shot in off the underside of the bar with the outside of his right boot for 1-5.

That was how the game finished, a score that reflected Spurs’ clinical finishing but was harsh on Delting who should have set Spurs’ a bigger score to catch up with.

Liam Billington


Add Your Comment

Add Your Comment

Please note, it is the policy of The Shetland Times to publish comments and letters from named individuals only. Both forename and surname are required.

Comments are moderated. Contributors must observe normal standards of decency and tolerance for the opinions of others.

The views expressed are those of contributors and not of The Shetland Times.

The Shetland Times reserves the right to decline or remove any contribution without notice or stating reason.

Comments are limited to 200 words but please email longer articles or letters to for consideration and include a daytime telephone number and your address. If emailing information in confidence please put "Not for publication" in both the subject line and at the top of the main message.

200 words left

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.


Get Latest News in Your Inbox

Join the The Shetland Times mailing list to get one daily email update at midday on what's happening in Shetland.