Hillswick fire causes devastation to house

Fire took hold of a house in Hillswick shortly after 10pm last night.

The single-storey property suffered 100 per cent smoke damage and 40 per cent fire damage, according to the Scottish Fire and Rescue Service.

There was also damage to wiring in the living room.

Two appliances, from Hillswick and Brae, went to the scene. The fire crews used four sets of breathing apparatus, one hose reel jet, a thermal imaging camera and small tools.

The male occupant of the house was checked over by a doctor, but was not taken to hospital for treatment.

The scene was declared safe by 11.30pm.


Add Your Comment

Add Your Comment

Please note, it is the policy of The Shetland Times to publish comments and letters from named individuals only. Both forename and surname are required.

Comments are moderated. Contributors must observe normal standards of decency and tolerance for the opinions of others.

The views expressed are those of contributors and not of The Shetland Times.

The Shetland Times reserves the right to decline or remove any contribution without notice or stating reason.

Comments are limited to 200 words but please email longer articles or letters to editorial@shetlandtimes.co.uk for consideration and include a daytime telephone number and your address. If emailing information in confidence please put "Not for publication" in both the subject line and at the top of the main message.

200 words left

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.


Get Latest News in Your Inbox

Join the The Shetland Times mailing list to get one daily email update at midday on what's happening in Shetland.