Fire took hold of a house in Hillswick shortly after 10pm last night.
The single-storey property suffered 100 per cent smoke damage and 40 per cent fire damage, according to the Scottish Fire and Rescue Service.
There was also damage to wiring in the living room.
Two appliances, from Hillswick and Brae, went to the scene. The fire crews used four sets of breathing apparatus, one hose reel jet, a thermal imaging camera and small tools.
The male occupant of the house was checked over by a doctor, but was not taken to hospital for treatment.
The scene was declared safe by 11.30pm.