Adamson hat trick as Cunningsburgh defeat Whalsay in Parish Cup final

Cunningsburgh with the Parish Cup following their 4-2 victory over Whalsay at the Gilbertson Park. Photo: Kevin Jones

Cunningsburgh won the Parish Cup for the third time, and the first since 1976, by defeating Whalsay 4-2 at Gilbertson Park in Lerwick yesterday afternoon.

A substantial crowd, probably the biggest for many years outwith an inter-county clash, witnessed an exciting clash which was in the balance until the last 20 minutes.

Declan Adamson was the man of the match for the winners, scoring a hat trick including a long-range strike from almost 40 yards.

Cunningsburgh’s Stuart Farmer (right) challenges Whalsay’s David Murray during yesterday afternoon’s Parish Cup final at Gilbertson Park. Photo: Kevin Jones

Whalsay started well and opened the scoring in under five minutes although the scorer Magnus Thompson appeared to be about a yard offside. The linesman’s flag stayed down, however, and Thompson raced on and slipped the ball past Cunningsburgh keeper Saul Swanson.

It was end-to-end action until Adamson equalised in the 27th minute. Following a short spell of pressure from his side a cross from the right saw the ball break kindly for him and the striker made no mistake from close range.

The game remained closely contested, with plenty of chances, but no-one was able to add to the scoring until referee Robbie Goudie blew for half-time.

It was that man Adamson who eventually gave Cunningsburgh a lead they just about deserved around the 55-minute mark. Receiving the ball just inside the Whalsay half, he unleashed a long-ranger which flew over Whalsay keeper Stuart Manson and ended up in the back of the net.

Whalsay were not behind for long, however, and it was a another tremendous goal which drew them level again. Striker David Murray, just ouside the penalty area, took one touch and sent a left-foot shot into the top right corner past the despairing Swanson.

Player of the match Declan Adamson (left) receives his trophy from Kevin Main and his daughter Martha Main and his son Mitchell Main following yesterday afternoon’s Parish Cup final at Gilbertson Park. Photo: Kevin Jones.

Back came Cunningsburgh and they had a great chance to retake the lead minutes later when a penalty was awarded. Keeper Manson, afraid to pick up the ball because of a suspected back pass, was caught in two minds and was judged to have fouled Cunningsburgh forward Sam Maver.

Up stepped Jordan Thomason, a man with an excellent record from the spot. But on this occasion he put the ball past the right-hand post, an outcome the Whalsay contingent must have viewed as a just one.

Cunningsburgh did not have to wait too long to go in front again though, and it was captain James Farmer who got the all-important third. A Sean Maver cross from the right saw the combative midfielder nip in front of the keeper to nod the ball over his head to make it 3-2.

A flurry of substitutes followed for both sides, and it was one of them, Cunningsburgh veteran Stuart Smith, who started the move which led to a fourth for his side.

Smith found fellow replacement Aaron Peart wide on the right and he carried on before shooting from a narrow angle. Manson dived well to parry the ball but Adamson was waiting at the far post to claim his hat trick.

There was still 10 minutes remaining for Whalsay to attempt to mount a comeback but Cunningsburgh saw out the match reasonably comfortably.

Peart and Smith both had great chances to make it five but they registered a rather weak effort and completely missed the target respectively.

Parish Cup Association president Iain Smith called on county assistant manager Kevin Main, a former Delting player, to present the trophies.

Cunningsburgh’s Captain James Farmer with the Parish Cup following his team’s 4-2 victory over Whalsay at the Gilbertson Park. Photo: Kevin Jones

He first called up Adamson to receive the man-of-the-match award and then handed the prized trophy to Cunningsburgh captain James Farmer.

The jubilant men in green were in hearty voice as they posed for photographs before heading off to celebrate in time-honoured fashion.


Add Your Comment
  • Shuard Manson

    • August 13th, 2017 23:37

    I didna ken Gulberwick was in Cunningsburgh. As lang as dir nae toonies…..!


Add Your Comment

Please note, it is the policy of The Shetland Times to publish comments and letters from named individuals only. Both forename and surname are required.

Comments are moderated. Contributors must observe normal standards of decency and tolerance for the opinions of others.

The views expressed are those of contributors and not of The Shetland Times.

The Shetland Times reserves the right to decline or remove any contribution without notice or stating reason.

Comments are limited to 200 words but please email longer articles or letters to for consideration and include a daytime telephone number and your address. If emailing information in confidence please put "Not for publication" in both the subject line and at the top of the main message.

200 words left

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.


Get Latest News in Your Inbox

Join the The Shetland Times mailing list to get one daily email update at midday on what's happening in Shetland.