24th October 2018
Established 1872. Online since 1996.

Fire in Sandveien house

Firefighters were called to a house-fire in Lerwick’s Sandveien during the early hours of Saturday morning.

Two Lerwick appliances attended the address after the fire, caused by an electrical fault, took hold.

Fire crews used breathing apparatus sets and hose-reel jets to help put out the living room fire after receiving the call just before quarter past one.

They also used a thermal imaging camera in the incident.

Scottish Fire and Rescue Service said the stop message came in at 2.24am, although firefighters were continuing to dampen down at the scene after that time.

Police Sergeant David Smith said there were no “malicious” circumstances surrounding the accidental fire.

He said the neighbouring house had been evacuated as a precaution, but the residents were allowed back in shortly afterwards. No-one was injured.

Your Comment

Please note, it is the policy of The Shetland Times to publish comments and letters from named individuals only. Both forename and surname are required.

Comments are moderated. Contributors must observe normal standards of decency and tolerance for the opinions of others.

The views expressed are those of contributors and not of The Shetland Times.

The Shetland Times reserves the right to decline or remove any contribution without notice or stating reason.

Comments are limited to 200 words but please email longer articles or letters to editorial@shetlandtimes.co.uk for consideration and include a daytime telephone number and your address. If emailing information in confidence please put "Not for publication" in both the subject line and at the top of the main message.

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.