Emergency services called to nursery in Scalloway after heater develops fault

A faulty heater at a nursery in Scalloway meant the emergency services had to be called on Tuesday morning.

Smoke formed in the playroom of Hame Fae Hame, New Road, while children were eating their breakfast in another room. The building was evacuated.

The call to the emergency services went out at 8.45am. The police arrived at 8.58am and the fire service at 8.54am.

Electricians dealt with the heater – and began replacing all in the building.

The emergency services left after around half an hour. No-one was injured.


Add Your Comment

Add Your Comment

Please note, it is the policy of The Shetland Times to publish comments and letters from named individuals only. Both forename and surname are required.

Comments are moderated. Contributors must observe normal standards of decency and tolerance for the opinions of others.

The views expressed are those of contributors and not of The Shetland Times.

The Shetland Times reserves the right to decline or remove any contribution without notice or stating reason.

Comments are limited to 200 words but please email longer articles or letters to editorial@shetlandtimes.co.uk for consideration and include a daytime telephone number and your address. If emailing information in confidence please put "Not for publication" in both the subject line and at the top of the main message.

200 words left

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.


Get Latest News in Your Inbox

Join the The Shetland Times mailing list to get one daily email update at midday on what's happening in Shetland.