Port Controller & Operations Assistant at Lerwick Port Authority
An opportunity has arisen for a Port Controller to assist with the safe and efficient operation of Lerwick Harbour.
Based in the Control Centre in Albert Building, the postholder will be the principal organiser and point of contact for vessels using the port. Responsibilities include radio contact with vessels, advising and instructing them as appropriate, monitoring harbour surveillance systems, liaising with Pilot/Assistant Harbourmasters, Harbour Boat Crews, and many other
harbour users and logging shipping movements in a computerised database.
Preference will be given to applicants with one or more of the following:
- A good understanding and genuine interest in Port and Shipping operations;
- A Certificate of Competence in VHF radio telephony;
- Radio Operators Certificate;
- Experience in working with radar and surveillance systems;
- A working knowledge of Lerwick Harbour;
- A good degree of computer literacy and IT;
- Previous experience of working with computerised record keeping systems.
A friendly, polite and professional manner is essential.
Applicants must be skilled in communication and organisation and be physically fit and capable of passing a pre-employment medical.
The post is on a fixed salary basis working a shift rota system including nightshift, backshift and dayshift working.
To receive an application pack with details on the position, please contact our reception on 01595 692991 or via email to firstname.lastname@example.org
Applications marked “Private and Confidential” should be submitted before noon on Friday 30th August 2019 to:
Capt. Calum Grains, Chief Executive,
Lerwick Port Authority, Albert Building,
Lerwick, Shetland ZE1 0LL