UPDATED: House catches fire in Levenwick

An elderly couple fled from a South Mainland house after it caught fire in the early hours of Thursday morning.

Firefighters were called to the single-storey building in Levenwick shortly after 6am.

Staff at the Scottish Fire and Rescue Service control room in Dundee said an electrical fuse box had been on fire, and that no-one was reported inside the house.

The Shetland Times has since been told that two people were in the building when the fire took hold, and safely left the house.

There were no casualties as a result of the incident. Three appliances attended the scene.

Firefighters used one hose reel jet and two breathing apparatus sets, as well as a thermal image camera.

The fire was dealt with by just after 7.30am.


Add Your Comment

Add Your Comment

Please note, it is the policy of The Shetland Times to publish comments and letters from named individuals only. Both forename and surname are required.

Comments are moderated. Contributors must observe normal standards of decency and tolerance for the opinions of others.

The views expressed are those of contributors and not of The Shetland Times.

The Shetland Times reserves the right to decline or remove any contribution without notice or stating reason.

Comments are limited to 200 words but please email longer articles or letters to editorial@shetlandtimes.co.uk for consideration and include a daytime telephone number and your address. If emailing information in confidence please put "Not for publication" in both the subject line and at the top of the main message.

200 words left

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.


Get Latest News in Your Inbox

Join the The Shetland Times mailing list to get one daily email update at midday on what's happening in Shetland.