In today’s (31st December) edition of The Shetland Times:
•We speak with retailers in Lerwick’s Commercial Street to see how Christmas trade fared and what they are hoping the New Year will bring.
• The man, the myth, the legend that is Smirk celebrates 40 years illustrating for The Shetland Times.
• The waiting list for people to access NHS mental health services is growing, with fears a new lockdown could worsen the situation that has seen young people waiting six months for treatment.
• Preparations for May’s local elections have begun with the Greens’ Alex Armitage announcing his intention to stand. He will be one of three environmentally-focused candidates on the ballot.
• Plus we look back at what made the headlines during the last six months of the year.
• SPORT – A review of the sporting highs and lows of 2021.
• SPORT – Strength athletes Shauna Moar and Jonni Manson flex their muscles in Preston.
Plus readers letters, opinion and more.