Blue-green algae present in Spiggie Loch

Blue-green algae which is harmful to humans and potentially deadly for animals has been found in Spiggie Loch.

The council received confirmation that the South Mainland loch contained this algae by the Scottish Environment Protection Agency.

Blue-green algae exist in fresh waters and can collect to form ‘blooms’ looking like blue-green paint, in the water or on the shoreline. 

This algae can be toxic and may give rise to adverse medical effects, including skin rashes, eye irritations, vomiting and diarrhoea, and fever and pains in muscles and joints. 

Toxic algae has the potential to cause the deaths of dogs and livestock. 

Warning signs are set to be erected  next to the loch warning that contact with algal scum should be avoided.


Add Your Comment

Add Your Comment

Please note, it is the policy of The Shetland Times to publish comments and letters from named individuals only. Both forename and surname are required.

Comments are moderated. Contributors must observe normal standards of decency and tolerance for the opinions of others.

The views expressed are those of contributors and not of The Shetland Times.

The Shetland Times reserves the right to decline or remove any contribution without notice or stating reason.

Comments are limited to 200 words but please email longer articles or letters to for consideration and include a daytime telephone number and your address. If emailing information in confidence please put "Not for publication" in both the subject line and at the top of the main message.

200 words left

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.


Get Latest News in Your Inbox

Join the The Shetland Times mailing list to get one daily email update at midday on what's happening in Shetland.